Replace Food Stamps With Food Boxes?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Maisie Morton, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Maisie Morton

Maisie Morton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the idea but not sure how well it would work.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have food stamps over here - charities have set up food banks where people can walk in and take a box of groceries home
    I would prefer food stamps as the box will probably have things I don't eat - unless you can do a pick n mix (maybe you can)

Bill Boggs and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That's another one over my head. Guess I have trouble seeing the big picture, the whys and wherefores of it all (wherefores???).

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Food stamps and our food banks are for the poorer community Bill
    When I go to the supermarket they have a huge box that shoppers can put cans and packets of food in
    to contribute - its always full to the brim - good people :)

@Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know how your food boxes worked. We have food drives occasionally, like you leave food out for your postman tpo pick-up; not sure how that works either or how the food is distributed. I agree, good people, indeed.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Volunteers collect the food and take to a large storehouse for the people to come to and collect their boxes

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

They only do like food boxes here on the holidays. We do have what they call food banks which restore houses where people can go and get groceries. If anything on food stamps they still need to cut out some of the crap that they're allowed to buy like soda drinks and candy I used to see a lot of that when I would check people out that used stamp cards.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep - good point

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have mixed feeling about this proposal. I remember back when actual food was distributed for poor families, and it was called “Commodities”. The food that was handed out was basic things like flour, cornmeal,white rice, powdered milk, and canned USDA foods like canned beef and/or pork, peanut butter, and a loaf of cheddar cheese.
    My parents had house rentals, and most of the time, when the renters moved, they left behind the bags of flour, cornmeal, and powdered milk, and usually the rice, too, although it did get used up better than the other items did.
    It sounds like this is a similar program that they are proposing to do now, and even less people actually cook with these basic items than they did back in the 1950’s when they gave out the commodities.

The other side of that is that when I go to the store, I often see people with carts full of snack foods and soda pop, and they are raising their children with this very unhealthy food; so I totally agree that the foods that can be purchased with EBT should be limited better than it is.
    I think the idea of giving out actual food is good, but in practice, I just do not see it working out well.

And then, there is my own perspective on this , as a food stamp (SNAP/EBT) user. We buy just the opposite of most EBT users. I shop for fresh vegetables, fruits, and healthy dairy items like milk, cheese, and yogurt. We can’t afford a lot of meat, but I shop the sales and we have mark-down items and chicken mostly.
    If they hand out big bags of corn meal , white rice, and white flour, we do not use that either; so it would be as much of a waste for us as it would for the families that don’t cook regular meals.

We also have food banks here, and sometimes they do have fresh veggies in the summer; but most of what they hand out is bread and pastry items.
    Rescue missions could certainly use the extra food though, and since they operate regular kitchens and cook actual meals, I think that this would be a great idea to hand out extra foods to the food banks and rescue missions.

It is definitely something that needs to be changed from the way it works right now; but I don’t know if just handing out the food will work either.
    One thing it might help to stop is people “selling” their food stamp allowance for drugs or alcohol.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes - agree with you

12. Maisie Morton

Maisie Morton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it depends on the quality of food that will be in the boxes.

If it is the commodity food you spoke of , I think it will be a big mistake.

I go to Costco and get good food at a reasonable price.

If the government bought the food to be handed out from a store like Costco, and bough it wholesale,

the food boxes might be a good idea, especially for poor and elderly people who have

trouble getting to the nearest grocery store.

Frank Sanoica and Sheldon Scott like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, getting the commodities, it was from extra food that had been basically bought from farmers, because the farms were government subsidized.
    We still have that happening with many farms; so the food that would be handed out would be the food that the government had excess of stored away, and not food that was purchased from stores, according to what I have read about the new SNAP proposal.

Getting it would probably not be any easier for elderly people who have trouble getting to the store, because on the day you had to go to the warehouse for the food, there would be long waiting lines, and they would also need help carrying out the boxes of food.
    I can remember standing in line for over an hour , waiting for the commodities to be handed out, and for elderly people, it would be almost impossible unless they have a better way of distribution.

When Bobby and I were first married, and he was managing the little rescue mission in Charlotte, NC; we went each week with the little Ford pickup and got food from the local food bank. We had to use the big flat shopping carts like they have at Costco.
    Some of the food was given away, and some we had to pay for, but it was much cheaper than if we had bought it at the store.
    They had special days that were just for the missions and church food banks to come and pick up food for the week; but it still was an effort to get it all loaded on the pallet, and then into the back of the truck.
    Of course, we were getting food for the whole rescue mission, and not just a family, so we had to load a lot more than just a regular SNAP family would need to get.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Beans and potatoes...still cheap...healthy and tasty :)

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - over here we have a system called 'meals on wheels' for the elderly
    A van pulls up with a hot meal delivered to the door, been going on for many years :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.