Reporting Mass Shootings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I think all those Civic Officials, Mayors, Governors, Congressmen, and the like should be incarcerated for 30 days if any of them had stated publicly after a mass shooting : "This has got to stop!" or "Enough is enough!"

It seems that all they're good for is saying how terrible it is, and doing nothing until the next mass shooting.

Hal

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So what action do you suggest they take?

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Registered

I don't know...you can't restrict the terrorists' weapons, because weapons will always be available on the underground market regardless of legislation against them.

You can't threaten them with extreme legal punishment, because they don't listen to warnings.

There seem to be more of them surfacing within our society, so this complicates planning against their terrorist activities by making it impossible to isolate them.

Hal

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The death penalty - that's what they deemed to be fit

Bess Barber and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree- and that does not mean 20 years later!!

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

It would be best to forget "due process" and execute anyone on the spot who was observed randomly killing innocent people with a firearm.

Harold

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The Shooters don't care and seem to be hell bent on suicide.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.” ― Ian Fleming, Goldfinger

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I think if anyone is caught in the act of killing more than 3 people, as the quote suggests in @Beth Gallagher post, it should legally be considered an act of terrorism, thus allowing law enforcement to shoot them on the spot. I'm not advocating vigilante responses, but in a mass shooting, I think anyone present who is armed shoot be able to stop them. If this was the agreed upon response for the next shooting, it would stop them from killing/injuring more people, and make them think twice before walking into a public place and opening fire. They are willing to shoot themselves after many deaths because they think they've made a statement. But if someone were to stop them at victim One, then they planned the whole event with no big outcome.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I listened to a "crime expert" talk about three recent shootings. This was before the one in Ohio, but after the one in Texas. He said all three shootings occurred in "gun-free zones", although he was confirming the one in Texas. The Gilroy, California shooting was in a gun-free area surrounded by chain link fence with all weapons forbidden. They had metal detectors at all gates to prevent even knives from entering. The shooter went to the back of the venue, cut a hole in the fence and entered through the hole. This guy also claimed that the Texas shooter was probably a Left-Wing nut, who adored and was following the shooter in New Zealand, who, according to this "expert" was an left wing environmentalist who hated Muslims because the number of children they had was killing the environment, not just the immigration thing that was portrayed in the media. I assume he would also hate Mormons and Catholics as well, although Catholics don't follow that teaching much any more. All these shooters are portrayed as right-wingers, but, according to the expert, they are about 50-50, with the liberal extremists as frequent as the conservative ones. It is just the agenda-driven media that describes them all as right wing nuts. It appears to me that eliminating "gun-free zones" would reduce this dramatically.

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I dont give a rats butt....suicide, or taken out by a cop, victim or bystander- as long as there is no trial, no on going notiarity by the media....and no book by family or friend telling how this poor troubled soul was doomed because of their traumatic life!

Bess Barber and Patsy Faye like this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well you saved me the trouble - that's about it in a nutshell

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am mentally flipping coins about something akin to what you are saying Don.
    In a Walmart, any Walmart, there are always hundreds of people doing whatever they are doing. There are no real security measures at the door so declaring the store a gun free store is like them saying, “carry if you want but we just don’t want to see it”.
    How is it, that at a busy Walmart that everyone is so law abiding that no one had a weapon in order to stop the shooter? Or is it that not that many people actually carry weapons? And how is it that no one headed for the sporting goods section to find a weapon of some kind just to defend themselves?

Dunno but I’ll bet Walmart starts having armed security fairly quickly now.
    Heck, one of our local gun ranges has a class for church goers who wish to know how to defend themselves whilst they are at church and there’s a waiting list!

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Bobby not everyone is quick thinking, especially during a crsis.Not everyone has desire to learn firearms operations. Some would rather learn more about CPR , and other life savings techniques, in order to save lives;). Also, I am thinking we will become a Policed nation. Police will oversee all of our go to places.

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I suspect it happened too quickly fro anyone to get a firearm from the sporting goods department, especially as I think all those weapons are secure. I guess the staff could've gotten to them, but they probably would have been fired for it after the incident was over. During the 1990s I recall Walmart announcing they were no longer going to carry firearms. Up here, that never happened and they are one of the largest marketers of guns in the state.

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.