Residents Who Won't Listen To Apt. Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, I guess buying an HOA house it most definitely out also? What we liked about living in an HOA community, the HOA kept the community clean. IOW, not a bunch of junk cars sitting in the front drive or backyard. Lawns kept up nice.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, there was a man and his son that was evicted from their apartment, in the last complex we lived in, because he shot off his shotgun on New Years Eve and was reported for doing it.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Garages and dwellings are two different things to me.

I get what the law allows...most places afford the landlord the opportunity to inspect. It still feels intrusive to me...because it is. I get the need for it. My mother owned a rental home. I got stories.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There were two brothers that were evicted from here a few weeks ago. Both had lost their job due to the virus and had not paid any rent for 3 months. Management asked them for legal paperwork showing how they were affected by losing their jobs, but they wouldn't produce. Finally, the County Sheriff was called and talked to by management. The next day, while the brother were out of their apartment, the maintenance girl was given orders to go into their apartment and start taking things out. "Out" meaning into a parking spot. Part of the stuff got wet and some other things were taken by "who knows". The brothers never returned and no legal action was taken against the complex.

5. John Brunner

That's a stupid and dangerous thing to do in a densely populated area, despite what Biden recommends.

We get the Christmas and New Years celebratory gunfire every year, as well as the occasional critter-killing at all hours. Makes me feel safe.

I've not shot a gun off at New Year. Maybe I should, just because I can.

I'm gonna put a note on my calendar so I don't forget. So what caliber goes with 2021?

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just like Ken and his rental.........you have stories (horror) also. We talked to a guy, over where our boat is stored, and he told us that he stopped renting out his small motorhome due to how people he rented it out to, treated it. He told us, "I just can't believe how some folks will treat a rental."

7. John Brunner

See, I'm of a different mind set.

-My neighbors are property owners.
    -They have junk cars out.
    -It's the purest physical manifestation of a foundational freedom.
    -I feel the same way about the local gunfire.

If I lose my tolerance for that and insist on laws and statutes to stop it, then others can do likewise with my behaviour, and the next thing you know we suffocate ourselves and give total control over to bureaucrats. As long as there's no health issue (rats, etc), it's none of my business.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

In the complex we are in now, no fireworks or, obviously, no firearms shooting, is allowed for celebratory. If it happens, and the resident is caught/reported, they can, and will be, evicted.

Ground fireworks were allowed at our last apt. complex, and one year we did do some in the driveway, but something happened and they were no longer allowed.

One 55+ apartment complex we check out here, before moving here, a sign stated "no firearms allowed". We looked at each other and said, "not moving here".

9. John Brunner

My mother bought the house next door as a rental unit. She rented it out to a "nice clean couple." It was a small house with no laundry room (washer, dryer, etc.) So the guy drilled two holes THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE (that was opposite where my mother could see), ran plumbing through the holes to the outside, went down to the basement windows, broke out the basement windows, and ran the pipes inside to tie into the plumbing!!!!

She moved into that house (because it was nicer than the other one), and rented the other one out to "a nice couple." This is the house I commented on elsewhere that had bats flying in & out of the attic, and when you went to bed you could hear the squirrels running around overhead. The chimney and most other stuff in there was caked with crap. We find out later that the guy had his special needs brother living with them, and he stayed IN THE ATTIC!!!!!!

10. John Brunner

The county I moved from banned fireworks, except for sparklers.

I've not shot any off here, although in prior years purchased some from out of state. I don't know if I can still do that.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

To be absolutely frank, if I were the manager and I found out that the maintenance person was discussing other tenants with someone other than management, he or she would be looking for another job.
    It is one thing for a staff member to receive and pass on complaints to a higher authority but quite another to compare notes with a tenant about other tenants.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, when people are allowed to "do whatever they want to", trouble, and sometimes plenty of it, can happen.

My 1/2 brother has a full-size cabin cruiser sitting on his Florida property full of boxes of stuff. And, I do mean full.........as he has told me on the phone.

I now a lady, that, years ago, was visiting her at her home, she took me into her garage to show me something. I noticed lots and lots of boxes full of stuff and, after taking a second look, notice the front end of a car buried in boxes. Could see the headlights and bumper, but that was it.

Wife and I have passed apartment complexes that looked pretty scary due to all of the toys and trash laying around on the grounds.

13. John Brunner

I gotta admit that I'm one of those people who can often get anybody to tell me anything.
    -I eat at restaurants and know the inside dope pretty quickly.
    -I go on job interviews and learn the political stuff that should never be discussed with non-employees (in one case this came from the Contracts Manager of a well-known contractor.)
    It's part of what made me good at negotiating agreements...not to use anyone, but to know what the other guy really wanted so we could make a deal.

I don't tell tales out of school, and I don't abuse it. Maybe that's why people confide in me.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure I would hold a maintenance guy to some standard of confidential professionalism. Besides, the less a person feels they have a voice in the organization, the greater the likelihood they'll find someone else to listen.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Well, when trouble happens, then deal with it.

In a sense,who cares that the guy's boat is full of boxes? This idea of "preventing bad behaviour" never leads to good places. Criminalize that which should be illegal, and don't worry about the preceding behaviour that may or may not lead up to it.

I respect our right to be selective in where we live. I probably would not want to live in a trashed apartment complex because it lends to an atmosphere of irresponsibility and I'm among a crowd of strangers. But I would not pass a law against it, except for direct health issues.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, there are not only folks that absolutely refuse to follow rules/policies they sign for, but don't read and those horror stores about people who rent their property out.

It's truly amazing how people want to live in a rented apartment and treat it like they are buying it. Doing things to it that the Lease distinctly says they can't. And, they don't want to ask the manager "can I", because they already know the manager will say "sorry, no".

We had a neighbor have a Direct TV dish installed on the rail of the stairs going up to their apartment. It was in the Agreement that satellite dishes were no longer allowed in the complex. They had her take it down and she cancelled it. She never asked "would it be ok?".

Another neighbor, in another building, asked if she could put up a large Christmas Inflatable by her apartment. She was told "no" by management. She took the inflatable back to the store and gave her Notice to move.