Restoring A World War Ii Aviation Gem

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

At 9 or 10, I built a wooden model of a B-29, a kit, present from my Mother. Learned the propellers spun a circle 16-feet in diameter! Not much else was easily learned about them back then. Built for only 3 years,
    1943 till 1946, in that time 3,970 were built! Story about this restoration is pretty neat. During our first winter stay here in Bullhead City, the world's only (then) flying B-29, named "Fifi", was flown in, with demonstration flights for several days. I'll try to dig up our pics later. For now:
    [​IMG]
    FIFI from the DC Flyover, 5/8/2015. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFI_(aircraft)

During bombing activities from Tinian Island in the Pacific, B-29s destroyed Japan's ability to continue WW-II. As many as 300 planes left Tinian every 24 hours to bomb Japan.

[​IMG]
    Rescuing a B-29 named “Doc” from the boneyard and returning it to the skies was a mission for Tony Mazzolini and hundreds of volunteers.

[​IMG]
    “Doc” is rescued from an airplane graveyard.

A veteran of World War II is UP IN THE AIR once again, thanks, Lee Cowan tells us, to a small army of volunteers ... and one very determined Korean War vet:
    There are men with big plans … and then there’s Tony Mazzolini, whose plan was so big it took up a hanger the size of a football field. From: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restoring-a-world-war-ii-aviation-gem/

Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Another gut-wrenching rescue attempt.

Ike Willis and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joe Riley
    Wonderful story, Joe! I thank you. This one I will share with several folks, to be sure!
    Frank

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Now, I have questions, perhaps more appropriately placed in "Forum Help", but maybe not, since they "niche" in nicely here. As I understand things, in my own very technically limited way, several means may be used to "play" a stored video on one's living-room T-V. One would be by use of a DVD player. Good only if the stored vid were on a DV disc. Alternately, my being "behind the times", a 15 year old breakthrough device, the "USB Drive", can have stored in it, a desired video, it being plugged into my laptop, and then enabling me, through as yet imponderable means, to play it on my T-V. A mystery cable here is missing, whereby I presume my laptop would be connected to my TV.

What I completely fail to understand is this: given knowledge of the Internet's video URL for that vid, I can command my laptop to play it, without storage anywhere that I know of. Does this mean clicking on "play" places the video in entirety in my PC, or does it simply "pluck" it from Youtube's files and play it as it arrives at my computer? I am leaning towards belief of the latter, which, if so, means that moving on to another website simply results in "loss" of the video information.

The imponderable here? How do I play Joe Riley's wonderful video on my living-room TV?
    Frank

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

On CBS News Sunday Morning this very day, they a reported on a B-29 called Doc. A man spent 30 years putting it together, along with many volunteers. It was a very informative.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

With a small adapter and cord, I throw whatever I want up on my big TV screen from my iPad.. I even do this with this forum, That allows me to work on whatever I want to while keeping up wirh all of you guys.

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder
    Wish I could do that too. I have no "smart-phone", or whatever they are called, and do all my computer work off of a laptop, Windows 7. The inter-connections between everyday Internet and phones, tablets, and the like, I do not understand at all.
    Frank

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder
    This would have been the plane described in Joe's video.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica - I have never connected my laptop to my TV, to play videos, either, but I would like to. As far as I can make out on the right side of the flat screen, I have 3 ports HDMI #, HDMI #2, and USB. I have my Roku unit plugged into HDMI#2. using a HDMI cable. I guess I would need another cable to plug my laptop into the TV.

HDMI Cable
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joe Riley

Roku??

So if I'm understanding this, the processing of the signal to play or show whatever is displayed on the laptop is already done in either the laptop or TV, and all I need do is obtain the correct cable? Assuming the TV is new enough to already be equipped with a USB socket. Ours is pretty old, I'll check it.
    Frank

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Roku is a wireless device that allows viewing oh movies on TV, such as netflix. Some channels you pay for, some are free. (This video may be included on some documentary channels).