Resume Additions

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Jeanne Palmer, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Jeanne Palmer

Jeanne Palmer Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi everyone. I just have a question: I've done computer work here at home - for myself - for a number of years. I've used a number of Microsoft programs, but how do I include that kind of activity in my resume? It wasn't paid work, just done either for myself, and I wrote, edited and designed my community newsletter for 7 years. Should I include it at all, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Jeanne

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Jeanne,

You could just simply add...''proficient in the use of (insert whatever Microsoft programming you can use)...No need to add anything more than that...

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Jeanne Palmer

Preparing to submit that resume to some prospective (and lucky) employers?
    Frank

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Unfortunately, most, if not all companies, require any kind of computer experience to be with a company. If a person owned a company, listed that company and the computer experience used, that would work ok.
    Prospective companies know that pretty much anyone can use computer programs at home, but getting paid to use a computer, is a different thing.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I place those experience under the heading Other Skills. Or maybe you can qualify it as Computer Skills. There was a time that our department needed someone who is well versed with the spreadsheet. And since it was only for a temporary deployment, the person hired was an undergraduate (no degree) but was really good in using the spreadsheet. It is understandable that we learn software thru constant use and mostly on a self-study method or short tutorials.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I like what Holly said. You could list it that way, or create a header somewhat like Corie mentioned, whether labeled as Other Skills or Proficiencies, and that way you could also include other related or otherwise marketable skills that might be attractive to employers.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Most companies want to verify skills in some way. Skills done at home, unless done thru a home business, generally are not looked upon as valid skills. Just my opinion.