Returning Things You Have Bought Online

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Babs Hunt, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

A lot of us shop online now and from the many posts I've read...we enjoy it. But what if that purchase you made online has to be returned for whatever reason. What have you experienced in relation to returning those online purchases?

In my case I have found returning things just about as easy as ordering them...except for making that trip to the Post Office or UPS, etc. to send the return back. If it is something I have ordered from Walmart than I just return it to the store. I can't remember an unpleasant return experience. Even when I ordered the wrong strength vitamins, my total buying price was credited back to me, I got to keep the bottles we had already opened, and all I had to do was print off a return mailing receipt with return postage paid by the Company I purchased from.

Easy and simple returns are another reason why I love to shop online. :) How about you?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Pretty much, that has been the case for us as well. We have seldom had to return anything, but the few times we did have to, it was through Amazon. Since they just have you print out a label and give it to UPS, it is always pretty easy if you do need to return something.
    Now that Amazon has purchased Whole Foods Market, returns from Amazon can be taken there, too.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, easy!

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Had two pairs of Darth Vader gloves that didn't match the picture online. Instead of the costume companies having me return them, they just told me "keep them" and they refunded what I paid (item and shipping cost). Have found out that not all companies will refund shipping costs.

Not matching the item pictured online is a real "beef" of mine. The item received in the mail should match the item pictured online, but there are times that definitely doesn't happen and reviews state just that.

Actually, we like to buy things online from stores that are local, but some of the items online aren't in the store. That way, if we don't like what we got by USPS or UPS, we can return to store near us.

We bought a nice mattress online, but my wife picked the wrong firmness. There was no way for us to find out just how firm the mattress was without opening the package. Thing is, once the package was opened.........it was yours, period. It stated, "No returns if package is opened".

But, all-in-all, buying online from anyone really hasn't been a problem and we continue to do it.

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't return a lot but my experience is it is easy. So no real fear from shopping online in that regard. The post office until Christmas will be a madhouse and I have a PO Box.

6. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never ordered online yet. Felt no real need to. But I do understand that we here in Canada do have a bit more of a problem with goods ordered from the USA....something to do with the duty tax not being refunded.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday I received a Juicer that I ordered from Amazon and it is not what was described on their website so I will be returning it. It did not even come boxed in a brown shipping box but is in the regular box that you would buy on a store shelf...and that box is all messed up from being delivered to me. This is the first time I am dissappointed in an Amazon purchase. But the return will be simple and I have already printed off the postage paid return shipping label and will drop it off at UPS when we run errands tomorrow.

I also ordered my husband some higher magnification tools from an online store. One will have to be returned but after looking at their return policy it will actually cost me more to return the product because they do not pay the return shipping and also charge a restocking fee...so I will end up just keeping the product. It is a magnifier I can always use...even if it will not work for my husband.

Next time I will be more careful in checking the return policy when I am shopping at an online store I have not shopped at before. And thank goodness the item I will keep was only $10.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Exactly what I was talking about in my reply above: Items received that don’t match the picture online. And, how items are packed to ship (some, very shoddy). And, the refund policy.

A lot of people shop online, while a lot of others don’t due to above problems.

9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt Was this directly from Amazon or one of the sellers on the site? If it's from one of the sellers, I hope you are brave enough to leave a review. Admittedly, I really don't like to leave less than good reviews. I'm sometimes a little leery of the Amazon market place sellers. The last items I have bought, both for the cats, have been very good however. One was a bed and the other a deluxe scratcher.

@Missy Lee When ordering from Etsy, I know there can be issues with duty tax. I've never had this problem with something being sent to me. But for simplicity, I usually stick to US shopping on Etsy.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thing with me, I will do either a positive or negative review, depending on situation. I think people should know either the “good” or the “bad” about an order or product.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Directly from Amazon...that is why I was so surprised when my order came in the box it would be in on a store shelf...those boxes are not flimsy and not made for shipping out to anyone. I didn't even open the box to see if anything is missing. The juicer I wanted was supposed to be much smaller than the one they sent and the box is pretty messed up.

Other than this...I have never had a problem with anything I have ordered from Amazon and they have always sent my orders inside a brown shipping box.

I would absolutely have no problem leaving a review on Amazon or from any other place I order something Kitty. :)

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of my online shopping is from Amazon.com, and they make it very easy to return things. We always laugh about some of the boxes that things come in because it's common to receive a very large box that contains another box surrounded by a whole lot of packing. Once we dumped the thing we had ordered into a bag with all the peanuts because we didn't even see it mixed in there with all the peanuts. I get a little annoyed with the packing peanuts because I have cats who could choke on those things, so I have to be real careful dumping them out. Ella likes playing with them, so I have to watch her if any should fall on the floor. My wife sells stuff on eBay so she reuses some of the peanuts but we get way more than we need.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's why I couldn't understand why this juicer Amazon sent me is not in a box with those peanuts like they usually send me too. Though even if it had come that way it would still be going back to them since it is not as described. But the return will be simple and I am glad about that.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I ordered a pair of white sheer curtains on eBay just over a month ago ,when I received them they were purple and white :eek:...I was waiting for instructions from the seller who was going to pay for the return costs to get the correct curtains, but they had not answered my email ...

After getting some advice from our Forum friends I looked at my eBay again and I found I only had to report to eBay that I got the incorrect item ,and beacuse I paid using pay pal I got a immediate refund and didn’t have to worry about returning to curtains .I donated them to a local opp shop

Von Jones and Babs Hunt like this.
  15. Angela Teed

Angela Teed Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I usually have no problem with ordering on line and have been very lucky with clothing sizes. But, just recently I ordered 2 items and I received both of them damaged. I returned them with free shipping and filled out report of damage. I got credit for my items but was still charged the shipping of my order. Needless to say I have deleted their site from my 'shopping list'. I feel it would have been to their advantage to refund the small shipping charge and keep a customer.