Returning To Eating In Restaurants?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How safe do you think it is?

We were going to have a nice birthday dinner for me this past Saturday evening. Made a reservation, but then gave it more thought and cancelled it. Read online local newspaper, on Sunday evening, that there were 6 new cases of the virus in our County over the weekend. Two of them were of older (50's) people. Four of the cases were from the city we live in.

Now we think we need to wait another two weeks or so, before giving it any of thought. Perhaps by the first or second week of July.

People that we know, and have talked to about the cancellation of the birthday dinner, told us that we made the right decision, but.........

Any advice/comments?

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

You have to do what you feel is safe. With the problems my wife has I will just continue to do take-out.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, it seems like, every time we go to Walmart for some groceries, one of us gets somewhat sick with diarrhea. There are things at Walmart we need, that local grocery store doesn't have. We try very, very hard to "get in and get out", but we aren't as fast of shoppers that we use to be. At times, we check our temperature, like I did the other night, but it is fine.

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah...I can't wait to dine in again in our Steer & Stein!

Hal

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We ate in a truck stop in Bangor a few days ago. With their new paper throwaway menus, they left all the good stuff off, so there wasn't much that I felt like having, and it was weird having all that distance between tables. I wish they'd quit with the nonsense.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I can't wait to eat out again, but if it's gonna be some half-masked effort, I won't subject myself to it. I'll hold off.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. John Brunner

The "Six Foot Rule" came early on from doctors who realized that if they were in the same room with an infected patient, were within 6 feet of them for [and opinions vary on the time] 15 minutes to half an hour, their chances of getting infected went up. I'm not sure how that make this different from any other flu, but anyway...

So because of that, we can't stand in line at Walmart any closer than 6' from the person in front of and behind us for a few fleeting minutes, and such people have a 1 in 200 chance of being (or having been) infected.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We done a "take-out order" over the phone last night. Drove to the restaurant and my wife, with her mask on, went inside to pick it up. When she came back, she told me the place was packed, but mainly Millennials and younger Gen X folks with a few kids. Very few Seniors. The outside patio area had folks sitting eating. Funny, but the outside temp was 65 degrees. With that, the food being served, would be cold before a fork hit it!

There was a sign on the door, Please Enter Wearing A Mask, but the masks were taken off once inside and seated. But, I'm darn near sure that there were those that didn't enter with a mask on, but weren't told to leave.

Wearing a mask into any business is mandatory in Colorado now, but wife and I have definitely seen some folks going into Walmart, Home Depot and Safeway not wearing a mask. And, employees aren't suppose to say a thing.

9. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

We are not in any hurry to go in to dine. We may do a call and then pick up order in the near future. I saw an announcement from a Chinese buffet that they are open again .. they want people to wear a mask while serving at the buffet but no mention of gloves .. um .. no thank you. We have plenty of food here at home, the means to prepare it and all the time in the world .. why mess that up and get sick?

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

So what good do gloves do? If you touch something that's infected with gloves on and then touch something else without changing gloves, you're spreading the virus in the exact same way an un-gloved hand would. (Actually, I've always felt this way about food service workers wearing gloves. It's never made any sense. In fact, it increases risk.)

And this stuff about "Wear a mask when you cross the threshold but take it off once inside" is nothing more than a test that many are failing miserably.

Assuming that COVID is the crisis it's purported to be, none of these things are effective. In fact, they are silly on their surface.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We still cook at home, but do miss going out to breakfast and dinner, like we use to do a couple of times a week. Take-Out is "ok", but eating inside the restaurant seems to be better. Since moving here last August, we've seen many of the local Seniors eating breakfast at restaurants, including McDonalds (yes, McDonalds). LOL

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

65 is called summer around here. Tee shirt, short pants, and flip-flop weather. At the truck stop restaurant that we went to, no one other than the staff were wearing masks. It's kind of hard to eat with a mask on, but I didn't see anyone wearing a mask on the way in either. I think the mask orders are all about sustaining fear.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yuck, I'm not a fan of buffets in any case but during a time of pandemic that's definitely a "no."

I agree about home cooking; I love to cook but I also like a break occasionally. :D We are in no rush to eat in a restaurant but we have gotten takeout quite a few times lately.

Maggie Mae and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Then we can eat Full-Calorie Meals and drink Beer and Wine, as served by these wonderful people!

IMG_9901.jpg 003.JPG
    Baby-Back Ribs, anyone?
    Hal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Thomas Stearn likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I used to love Ruby Tuesday's when I lived near one.

They had the best ribs & popcorn shrimp with a Louisiana remoulade sauce you've ever had!
    65 grams of lip smackin' fat!!!

I miss going out to eat, but I'm not gonna subject myself to the stress until "The Reaction To The Virus That Roared" goes away. In other words, I have reservations scheduled for November 4.