Right To Life

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Right to life. Do I have a right to life? I have some somewhat ambivalent feelings about it but for now, I'm alive and do find some value in it.
    I'm alive so with that I certainly do have some rights which include all of the things I need to survive.
    Every cell in my body since before my birth until this very moment is in a battle to stay alive. All of my DNA contains latent memories of those experiences of generations who went before me. Each person passing down a little of themselves. Father and mother to son and daughter. A human existence bent on sustaining another human existence.
    I value my existence.

Do I have a right to life? I do not know but that really isn't the question, now is it?
    One question is whether or not someone else has a right to take my life away from me and under what conditions will ethics allow such a thing? The other question is whether I have the right to take someone else's life? Do they not value theirs as much as mine?
    Maybe not. Maybe it is only I who values my own life whilst others merely exist and if such is the case, maybe it is permissible to simply not care about someone else and their life.
    Maybe I can rationalize some distant equation by which someone else's untimely death by my hand is okay. After all, they do not place the same value upon themselves, as I do myself,...…………..or do they? They do.

2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Esoteric Bobby.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Unfortunately, how right you are.
    We’re a jaded people on a jaded planet and only a few carry the concerns of others as their own.
    We were once uncivilized and had no moral nor ethical standards then, after a time, became learned and more cultured and consequently have found better, easier and more conscientious ways to do away with others who have a lesser right to life than ourselves.