Rip, Garage Freezer

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Beth Gallagher, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've only had that happen once, once was enough. It had to be one that had our 6 month supply of meat, and a fair amount of baking. Thought this was a big enough loss to use our insurance, the deductible wasn't very high, did get a new freezer and meat replaced, and some baking supplies. something that was learned was, made a claim on insurance, when our renuel came up, was shocked how much it went up, because of a claim. A habit i now have gotten into is to check freezers once daily, luckily has never happened again.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our homeowner's deductible is pretty high so it wouldn't be worth it to file a claim in our case. I don't believe that a failed appliance would be covered under our policy anyway, since there was no "covered peril." :D

I was able to save most of the meat since it was in the bottom drawer of the freezer and was still mostly frozen. I am in that freezer almost every day so I'm glad I caught it before everything was a total loss. There was a high-temp alarm on the freezer but since it's in the garage we didn't hear it. :confused:

During a couple of hurricane power outages in past years we have lost a lot of frozen food, so I don't keep nearly as much as I used to. I was still surprised at the amount of stuff I took out of there!! All my ice cream... a total loss. Sigh. :(

3. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Beth Gallagher Happy to hear you didn't lose everything. Didn't know about the temp alarm, good thing to have on the freezer, never had one with that. As far as our insurance, a couple years later there was a lot of changes to policies and deductibles, chances were we may not have used the insurance after the changes. High -temp alarm, will remember that for the next freezer when needed.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher it rained and poured on you all in one day, smh but there is that silver lining in the shape of a beer bottle, wine or shot glass, eh. :D

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

All's well that ends well, Von!! :D

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sorry I didn't see this, Faye. No, it wasn't open and the gasket is still in good shape; I think cooling appliances have to work harder when they "live" in a garage environment due to temperature extremes which shortens the life. Though we did get nearly 11 years out of it.

Faye Fox and Micki Pembroke like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

New freezer coming tomorrow. cheerleader.gif

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Beth Gallagher You're right Beth...garage life does shorten the freezer's life...you did very well on that freezer.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I noticed when shopping for a new one that they are offering "garage ready" appliances now. Of course they are priced several hundred dollars more so I said, "pfffffffffffffft." :D

11. Micki Pembroke

Registered

@Beth Gallagher I didn't know that... and of course the price is higher....isn't that the way things always go.

Bess Barber and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher Yes, I was lucky mine didn't burn up the breaker or destroy the compressor. It was really hot! It works hard in the summer and is in the garage. It is 18 years old. I know the day is coming soon when it will go.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Home Depot's rapid ascent to the top of my "S-List" will be fully documented after my blood pressure settles down. Thanks for that "scheduled delivery" time, HD! You're number one... see?? :p Tick, tock...

Faye Fox, Bess Barber and Von Jones like this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope by the ttime you read this post that Home Depot has arrived and departed.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Von. They were 'only' 2 1/2 hours late, but my time isn't important. :rolleyes: The new freezer is a winner and has that "new freezer smell."

So ends another saga. drinks.gif