Role Models

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Patsy Faye, May 30, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Role models are an individual choice. We need all types, because we are all so different. We don't get to choose role models for other people.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well you've hit the nail on the head there Karen - a little more publicity for them wouldn't go amiss :)

K E Gordon likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I pointed out to my wife that almost every T-V show involving a sitcom setting consists of constant dissentive behavior, which invariably is immediately, after each remark or sentence, followed by "canned laughter" which to my near-deaf old ears sounds most ridiculous and repetitive.

She merely shrugged. Believes I am concerned about minor issues which do not matter.

Joe Riley and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I cannot express just how MUCH I agree with that statement, @Frank Sanoica ! ! It seems like many of the things that are on television come with background "sound effects" that tell us when we are supposed to laugh, or when we are supposed to cheer, or boo, or whatever emotion they are trying to elicit from the listeners.
    If it can't be funny without canned laughter, then it just isn't funny, in my (humble) opinion.

Personally, I am thankful that we (Bobby and I ) do not watch much of what is on television and considered as entertainment nowdays, let alone trying to see someone who might serve as a role model for anyone. It does exist; but it certainly is not as prevalant as the older programs that we used to watch when we were youngsters ourselves.
    Like @Ike Willis , my heros were the cowboys, Roy Rogers, Rex Allen, and Audie Murphy, to name a few. No list would be complete without adding the great John Wayne, who was pretty much the all-around American hero of the movies for many years.
    If I had to choose one person who is well-known on television as a role model, I would pick Greta Van Susteren.
    From what I have seen of her, she does her best to be both fair and honest with people that she interviews, and she has a great heart of compassion for people.

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My role models on TV were Ward and June Cleaver of Leave it to Beaver, Ma and Pa Ingles of Little House on the Prairie, and John and Olivier Walton of The Waltons. In the Bible my role models are Ruth, Queen Esther, and the Proverbs 31 Wife. Mother Teresa was a role model, as well as Nancy Reagan and Jackie Kennedy. My Mom and Dad were great role models in my life too.

Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Babs Hunt - I thought of Michael Langdon this morning, he did some worthwhile programmes too

Babs Hunt likes this.