Room Humidifiers

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have one? Is it a "cool mist" or "warm mist" one? How many square feet does it cover? Where do you use it at...….bedroom, living room, etc.? How often do you use it?

We recently bought a "cool mist" Pure Enrichment MistAire Silver Ultrasonic one that will cover 250 square feet, of which isn't a very big room. It's nice and quiet and has an auto shut off when the water runs out. It cost $59.99 online from Kohl's. My wife likes it, but I think the thing is too small for our bedroom.

Not sure where I should place it, but for now it sits on our dresser, on the wall in front of our bed. Wonder if it would be better on my nightstand by the bed, with the mist pointed away from us.

When we are in our living room, we put on a medium pot of water, in our kitchen, to boil to help the dryness. Our kitchen, dining room and living room are all connected. Bar separates kitchen from dining room.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I need one...and have been looking for one for my bedroom. Only for nighttime.

My master bedroom is pretty big but I’d put it near my bed.

I just want a very basic and simple one....but one that does shut off when empty....that’s about the price I’m thinking of paying for one also.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Comedian Steven Wright said he got a Humidifier and a Dehumidifier for his birthday, and he put them both in the same room with the windows and doors closed to let them "fight it out".

Hal

Holly Saunders and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just read an excellent review, about the one we have, and the person puts it on the nightstand by their bed. They point the mist so that it goes to the side, not over him.

We are now looking on Amazon, at the same brand we have, but it's an XL one that covers 500 sq ft that would be perfect for our living room. That way we wouldn't have to keep filling the pot with water and monitoring. We forgot the pot was on one time, the water had all boiled out and the inside/outside of the bottom of the pan was burning. No fire, only some smoke, but our fire alarm did go off. Turned off the burner and reset the fire alarm. It would be worth the money not to have to monitor a pot of boiling water!

6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Now THAT is funny! :D

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. Generally speaking, here in Alabama we might need a de-humidifier during the summer months but a humidifier is pretty useless here unless of course it’s for medicinal purposes.
    So far as the medicinal thing goes, my step mother used to throw an “evaporator” into our room laced with Vicks if she heard one of us sniff a little too much.

That said, I did however, buy a diffuser recently ( $15 ) which will humidify a room to some extent AND add some nice essential oil smells to the air. It’s one of the sonic jobs and shuts off just before it totally empties. Depending on the type of oil one uses, it’s nice. Really nice.
    They’re actually recommended for the bedroom and ours runs for about 5 to 6 hours if I set it to run at 30 second bursts at 30 second intervals. A little less if it runs continually but again, it shuts itself off so no worries.

As a side bar, when I lived in areas like Hal and Frank do, the A/C system IS a humidifier and is called a swamp cooler.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I do have a diffuser..maybe even 2 but they’re small and I never get them to work right...one seems to leak.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought so too, Lady Bess...but it's Steven Wright's joke!

Harry

Bess Barber likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Looks like we are going to have two humidifiers. Will get another one, same brand, but for a 500 sq ft space. I done my research and found out that it's highly recommended to have a least two humidifiers in the home. One in bedroom and another in living room area. Will also buy a standup digital hygrometer/temperature unit.

Am going to switch our existing humidifier to my nightstand, so the mist will be over part of the bed. However, not directly over us.

When we lived in Colorado before, during winter months, we were constantly putting hand cream on our backs. It was that dry. But, with the humidifier, that dryness will be gone.

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Never really thought about getting a humidifier,although it might be a good idea since my breathing could have used one this morning after sleeping in a dry bedroom. I have soaked and then wrung out a towel and hung it over the radiator in the kitchen though. It gave me a psychological benefit if nothing else. You can buy digital temperature and humidity gauges to see if you are doing any good.

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm in Florida. If I ran a humidifier, my house would eventually fill up with water. :D

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we now have both a 250 sq. ft. coverage humidifier and a 500 sq. ft. coverage humidifier going.

However, the indoor humidifier (aka as a hygrometer) & temperature monitor that we bought at Lowe's doesn't seem to register very well. Only way to reset the thing is to take the battery out. So, what are we going to do? Just like some other Reviewers wrote...…..bought a second one (same brand/style), set it on the other end of a shelf and compare. Best one keep, return other.

Also learned that, when using a humidifier in bedroom, bedroom door should be shut. We have never kept our bedroom door shut all night or part of the night. But, now.

Since our living room, small dining room and kitchen are all in the same area, the XL-500 sq. ft. humidifier has to have a little help sometimes with a pot of boiling water. We also try to remember to keep our bedroom door shut while we are at home and the humidifier is running in the living room. Want to keep the humidifier and boiling water moisture where we are, not all over the apartment.

Big thing is, finding out if our hydrometer monitor is faulty or not. A faulty reading can make a person think that the new humidifier isn't working right.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bought another indoor humidity monitor (hydrometer) that has indoor temperature also. Same thing we previously bought at Lowe's. Both seem to have the same reading, so will keep both. One for living room and other for bedroom.

Thing is, it really appears that we have to boil water twice (in AM), along with having both humidifiers on, to the side of our living room. Our XL humidifier doesn't seem to put out enough moisture to register 30% humidity on monitor, so have to have both going. Really need between 30 and 40 percent moisture. Not recommended to boil water all day, in which we don't, but do run the humidifiers, when we are at home. Shut off when we leave.

A lot comes down to "trial and error" with both humidifiers, when it comes to keeping the humidity level at the correct point. We actually forgot just how dry it can be inside here during the winter months. Now we know why we used so much, and so often, hand cream at night on our backs when we lived here before.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

When we travel out west in our RV, I always get nosebleeds from the low humidity. It is a miserable feeling to have dry skin and cracked lips, too. Living here in the humid tropics of Houston, I guess a person can get used to anything.