Roots Remake

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by K E Gordon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

So, anyway, someone online had told me about a Roots Remake on the History channel, so I was watching it last night..It is a 4 part mini series with some famous actors are in it. It was very good, but anyway, I got to thinking, most of the time the slave Kunte Kinte was held as a slave was on the Waller Plantation in Spotsylvania County Virginia...less than 10 miles from here. I pass Wallers road all the time. I will never look at it again the same way. I was just thinking there needs to be a historical marker there. I think I am going to call that county, and see what they say. I think there is a memorial for the plantation owner...but I want one to Kunte Kinte and the slaves, who suffered and died there.

Bill Boggs and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I was a young bride just 21 or 22.... all alone with a tiny baby ..and living in Naval quarters in Southern England, and my husband thousands of miles away with his ship in refit in Jacksonville Florida for 7 months, in the mid 70's and I only had 2 TV channel on the old family donated TV..and fortunately one of those channels was showing the whole first series of Roots...I loved it...it was just fascinating to me, and so educational .

The new Mini series stars one of our Local London relatively unknown actors Malachi Kirby ..as Kunta Kinte... and I'm looking forward to watching him...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-series-set-big-British-export-Hollywood.html

You're absolutely right @K E Gordon there definitely needs to be some kind of historical marker at that plantation, I'm astonished that there's not...I would have presumed it would have been a huge area of interest. Good luck with getting it recognised as such!!

Bill Boggs, Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon - wish you well with that request, hope it goes the right way :)

4. K E Gordon

Registered

Well actually, I was just reading about Alex Haley, Roots creator. The land VA and NC land records apparently don't bear out the story until the Civil War. However, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I am not sure how closely the slave records were kept. I am still going to contact the County historical people to see what they have to say about it.

Bill Boggs and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon
    Good idea - sometimes these people don't like to admit the truth of it

6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I understand that the director wanted to
    remake the mini series with a slightly different point of view from the first one. However, I will probably not warch it again.

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I just noticed your post on this K E Gordon, have you had an news in your endeavor?

I can only imagine there are the bodies of poor souls buried all over the south. Buried and forgotten. I imagine here in the West, the U. S., all over the world there are people buried with homes and buildings later built there. But these people never had the chance to live their lives as free people.

I perhaps think weird things sometimes but I've even thought about places where a lot of people were killed or a great tragedy, are there still the spirits of some of those people still there? I'd hope not. I would hope people moved on.

I'm not a huge fan of the movie Titanic. But I like how it ends. I see it as all those who died or survived the sinking and then later died, they are all there to greet those who passed over. Sorry went OT majorly.

8. K E Gordon

Registered

I never called because if they can't verify some of the actual story it is probably going to be hard to get any kind of commemoration going, but Thanks for reminding me. I will make a note to do it, because I think it would be important to do. I mean there are plaques to white people all over the place..how about a plaque to honor those some of whom suffered and died here under horrible and abusive circumstances

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Kitty Carmel and K E Gordon like this.
  10. K E Gordon

Registered

There is a plaque that shows where the slave market was in Alexandria, but it doesn't have anyone in particular mentioned, not that we would know them anyway. I am glad about the Kunte Statue in Annapolis, that's something!

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  11. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for the link Ken. Interesting to look at and read.

K E Gordon, you may be right, If someone was going to put a commemoration up, it would have been done by now.

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

History seems to be one giant blog, that is being re-edited every day!

Bill Boggs and K E Gordon like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Kunte Kinte was given the name "Toby" by a slavemaster.

Hal

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to see a remake of "Roots", and call it 'Weeds".

Hal

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What are you saying with this statement, @Hal Pollner ? I can make no sensible interpretation of it, and it doesn’t seem like a caring statement in any way that I can determine.