Rules You Had As A Kid

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bess Barber, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

1. We weren't allowed to go into my parents bedroom unless invited.
    2. We weren't allowed to get something out of the fridge or pantry without asking.
    3. We weren't allowed to use the phone after 8 pm or for more than 15 minutes.
    4. As a girl, I wasn't allowed to wear shorts to school or shopping.

I never thought these were mean. Even now, as an adult, I keep those same rules in their house when I visit.
    What rules did you grow up with?

Faye Fox and Micki Pembroke like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Be home before the streetlights came on. :D

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No rules. My younger sister and I learned what not to do from our older sister.:D

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We didn't have a lot of rules, at least not that were imposed by my parents. I cared what my parents thought of me, and didn't want to hurt them, so that carried the same weight as rules, I suppose. Since I was related to everyone around me, there were community expectations that didn't have to be spelled out. We were in church on Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, and whenever anything else was scheduled there. No one had to tell me that but if I didn't go, one my uncles or aunts were as likely to call me on it as my parents. I was expected to try things before deciding I didn't like them. For example, although my dad coached Little League, he had no problem with my not playing as long as I had tried it for at least one season. Again, I don't think he told me that, but I knew it. The same with Boy Scouts. Dad was the scout leader yet, while I enjoyed the Scouts, my next older brother didn't so he quit after a year or two. It was hardly a family where we ran wild, but rules didn't have to be stated as such.

5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We were petty free-range kids, but we knew not to go too far to hear the dinner-bell ring. It was a very loud and distinctive sound and mom rang it when she wanted us to come home, no matter what time it was.

You ignored it at your peril. There were no excuses. IF she had to come looking for you, you were going to get "switched" home. My mother was the Olympic Gold Medalist in switching. The prospect of it certainly improved my hearing, if not my attitude.

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I had to try hard to remember any rules but finally managed to recall these three:

Our mother told us a) never to touch munition b) not to play in the ruins around our house and c) expected us to be home at 6 for dinner. We always obeyed the first, often ignored the second, but seldom ignored the last for fear of "repercussions".:D

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I had had rules
    Anyhoo, my Foster Mother I loved dearly and wanted to show that. While walking in the park one beautiful afternoon
    I spotted some beautiful flowers hanging from branches. I picked some and zoomed home, they were so pretty
    I rushed to the kitchen with my posy 'Look Mum, these are for you' she turned and with a look of horror, she screamed
    for me to take them back to the park. 'Why Mum?' ….. 'They're unlucky May flowers, now go !' says she ..
    Well that was a rule and lesson learnt :p When I returned we hugged - all was well
    There was also a strict bed time, which I agreed with

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

You name it, We were just not allowed..... !!o_O

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

With the exception of three basic rules having to do with fighting, I was never given a rule book. It was simple really. I knew when I broke a rule when dad’s belt came off. It was sort of a “make ‘em up as we go” kind of thing.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

There were no specific rules, or so I thought.

I found out there were a couple, but only after I broke them. Sure as heck never broke them a second time. ;)

11. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Mother said I was spending way to much time with my cousin and that was my GF and best friend also. My uncle stepped in and told her, they make good grades, do not get into trouble, do what they are told so what is the problem? Well just together to much, later he told me she was scared one day we would marry, it was not can we see each other tomorrow but what are we going to do then which was a given as to being together. School, after school, weekends, almost every night as we lived close. Wish I could relive all of that so bad. Both had clothes at the other's house, parents were all aware of all that. One summer she went with kin folks and parents to visit family out of state for a month I was truly a lost person, my mother said I could not go with them, I tried to see if I could ride a bus or train and they could pick me up and ride back with them, another NO. All my mother's doing.

12. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I'm actually cool with that. Abraham was married to his half sister. :) Did you remain friends after you became adults?

13. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

After my yrs in military we had drifted apart, BUT did get back together but her mother told me she was not the same and was correct there, so very different I admit but did see each other several times and no more, her mother advised me not to get to close as before and was correct. Just mother's rules made me think of all this again. Drugs ruined her I have to admit, I was the exact opposite there still am and have been hate them and the trouble they create.

14. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I'm sorry @ Tex Dennis . These are stories that prove life just isn't fair sometimes.

Tex Dennis likes this.
  15. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Leave other people alone.
    If you don't like someone, stay away from them and leave them alone.
    Don't follow the crowd.
    Respect adults, respect authority.
    Respect other people's things, including family.
    Be honest and fair.
    Have empathy.
    Sit up straight.

and many others