Sailing

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Diane Casper, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Diane Casper

Diane Casper Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have sailed all my life, both on Lake Ontario and Chesapeake Bay. Does anyone else love sailing?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband and I had a small day sailor when we were first married, but that has been a while ago. Do you own your own boat, Diane?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have another member here who sails, or at least he used to do that. His name is @Martin Alonzo , and he is a Canadian now living in the Dominican Republic, and I am sure that he would love to share sailing stories with you.

I have never been on a sailboat, but I do think that they are beautiful. I have always loved being in/on the water, and I am looking forward to some pictures from your sailing adventures, @Diane Casper .

Do you still live near Lake Ontario ?

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have never done any sailing, but wife and I do own a 20' powerboat/cuddy cabin with a 350 V8 engine in it. This is our second powerboat since we married in 2001. We both have had powerboating experience, but only on small lakes/reservoirs.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Casper

My ridiculous fear of water, originating from a near-drowning incident (mine) in our high school pool, has prevented serious enjoyment of any water deeper than 5 feet.....

Frank

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Casper Hi I now live in the Dominican Republic and I sailed here from Lake Erie through the Erie barge canal and then down the Hudson river to NYC through the inter coastal waterway ICW then on to Bahamas spent 6 years sailing parts of the Caribbean before ending up in the DR. Had lots of fun got tired of eating fish and lobster I even offered another cruiser tree lobster tails if he would bring me some lettuces from Nassau never got the lettuces. Any questions you have Diane I would love to answer but my information might be a little out of date because I quit sailing twenty years ago. When I built my house in the DR.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I sailed on the collegiate team in college. We were really bad but we threw the best parties in our division so we were legendary.

We came in 13th (last place) in the division finals one year but by the time we got back to school, we found out that one of the other teams had been disqualified and that moved us up to 12th. We had such a victory party that we burned down part of the clubhouse. Oops.

Al Amoling and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

You sound like me. I almost drowned when I was 13.

I've taken Red Cross swimming lessons twice in my adult years, and miserably failed both times. I'll get out on a boat to fish, but don't take it out of sight of land.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Diane Casper

Registered

Thanks for all the great replies. Makes me feel welcome. I have a problem replying to everyone individually. I can't find where to post back. I found this "Post Reply" at the end of all your posts. Any advice how to post back??

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

If you click "Reply" at the bottom of a given post, it automatically provides a quote in a fresh comment box, as you see above.

Or you can type an ampersand and then the person's name (auto-suggest kicks in after a few letters), and they get a notification that they have been "tagged" in a comment. So you could reply to a bunch of people in a single comment and they will all get notified:

@Joe Smith I really liked being there
    @Mary Jones Yes, those were good times

There's no real standard. It's all personal preference. I guess most of us go back & forth with it.

Sometimes we forget to even reference who the comment is directed at and post a non-sequitur, making it appear to be a "senior moment" without context. That's OK, too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to rent sailboats (17-21 ft Sloops) with other guys and sail in Long Beach Harbor.

"Stand by to Come About on Starboard Tack!"
    "Ready About!"
    "Jibe-Ho...Duck!"

Hal

12. Diane Casper

Registered

got cha. HaHa, You still have the lingo!

13. Diane Casper

Registered

H

Hi there, what an adventure. Sounds like something my husband and I would have liked to do. We built the interior of a 46' Charlie Morgan hull (took 20 years) We had friends that sailed down the intercoastal to the Bahamas. We did sail to Block Island, Ms, and to Bermuda. Question: how was the currents in Hell's Kitchen? My info might be outdated too. We sold our boat in 2002. We lived on our boat every weekend and vacation for 20 years on the Chesapeake. We couldn't afford to do anything different. Also, boated on the barge canal in Upstate NY to Lake Ontario. I still love boating and am very depressed that I can't continue to do it. Nice talking to you.

14. Diane Casper

Registered

Sailors are always great drinkers. Are friends burned down the shrubby on a small island in the Chesapeake. Oops too.

15. Diane Casper

Registered

Sailors are always great drinkers. Are friends burned down the shrubby on a small island in the Chesapeake. Oops too.

Beth Gallagher likes this.