Sarah, Plain And Tall (trilogy)

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Boris Boddenov, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A television treasure from the 1990s, the Sarah, Plain and Tall series stoked audience hunger for a simpler, more neighborly America during the early 20th century, and it did so without being cloying or preachy. Somehow I missed it, but finally saw all three movies last night via DVDs.

Chris Walken was excellent, Glenn Close superb, and Jack Palance out-of-this-world in the third installment.

Love me some drama movies. This was Hallmark. You can keep their romance movies and the Hallmark mystery movies but give me their drama shows. Unfortunately, they're few and far between compared to the other two genres.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I read the book and saw the movie but I didn't know there was a trilogy. Both the book and movie were excellent.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sounds familiar, but I don't think I've read the book or seen the movie.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The book was short but good. You should see the movie, Ken.

5. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The 2nd movie is "Skylark" dealing with droughts and fires. Sarah's husband had to send her and his two kids back to New England as there was no water and other necessities for all of them to survive. He stayed with the land to rebuild, with the help of townspeople. He then traveled to New England. They returned to Kansas. Sarah gave birth to their first.

The third is "End of Winter." Eight years passed. Sarah's father-in-law who owned the farm and deserted the family returned. Jack Palance, the old man, was at the top of his game in this one.