Scams, And More Scams

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I consider myself rather realistic and net knowledgeable.
    However I got took on a reputable site. It was about getting free things and even making money.
    So the site lists all these reputable places, twenty something of them.Two or three were even well known names. So I set up acct on 3 or 4 them and began to question things fairly quick.
    I read all the fine print also as suggested on the main site. Such as i noticed lots of Medicare questions, and other questions asked normally in surveys you can take. It was all very lengthy and was taking too long to get free sample of say dog food. The S%&t kicker for me was when asked my take on the on going wars. What?
    Luckily, i did use an alternate email address, but used my cell phone number. Big big mistake. Within minutes i started getting calls I never get , next morning had 35 emails..more thru the day. I emailed the site and complained. They actually emailed me back and removed three of those I told them about.
    In the meantime Spam Shield cant keep up with the spam calls i am getting. Bio something or other lbs has called me to the point of me breaking down and answering. Wanted to send me a DNA kit so that doctors could use to see if medicines you take are working. She claims i did this on a survey. No, i did not , told her to remove my name from any and all lists.It is a scam that has been going on for a good while apparently.
    I feel dumb for falling for this crap, and have since learned of a incognito phone number you can use from Google for this type of things and other reasons. i was looking forward to get free samples of things to share my thoughts on,as write reviews for products and places. I hate damn criminals, they continue to jack our lives around over the simplest things and pleasures.
    So you have been warned.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is terrible, @Hedi Mitchell ! I do surveys and get points that can be cashed in for rewards like gift cards; but I only do it with sites that I have used and know are not scams.
    If you are interested in doing surveys for gift cards (it takes a while to earn the points, but it is something I do in spare time anyway), I can send you links to some that are reputable.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Thanks but no thanks. I have done that before, too long to sit for me. I remember many years ago you could get a monthly box from manufacturers with samples of really neat things.i had hoped it would be something similar.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thieves suck, regardless of what form they take.

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey @John Brunner

I’ve just received this scam ..can you delete if it’s not acceptable to post the screen shot of the scam

IMG_6628.jpeg

6. John Brunner

That is like the Best Buy email I got today that you & I were discussing elsewhere. This is the problem with technology...it's easier and cheaper for these idiots to mass-ply their trade.

What I don't understand is when my Yahoo email repeatedly tags messages as Spam from someone who is in my Contacts List (because of the number of recipients he sends his messages to), yet the mass-messages from actual scammers hit my Inbox cleanly as any other message does.

7. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have gmail and it’s the only email site I’ve ever used @John Brunner it’s great for dumping scams / other rubbish we get, but an odd one slips through ever now and then

Yep the best buy was a scam as well …requesting I update my account ..yeah sure .I might be old but ….Im not silly ..yet …:p:p

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Create an email strictly for Junk ... the other for business only. This works for me.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I did that too, @Hedi Mitchell. I had to open a Gmail account and I never use it. According to one security expert I listened to, Gmail is the least secure of all email platforms. It amazes me that so many doctors, lawyers and such use it.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

And if you reply, you are in trouble. Better to go to paypal's site to find out how to handle these things.

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I got a phone call last evening telling me that I am one of the winners of the Readers' Digest monthly sweepstakes and could be a winner of $1.7 million. All I had to do was call (213) 261-0906 and talk to Gene Hunter to claim my winnings. The problem is I never entered the contest and I don't get Readers' Digest.

12. John Brunner

Reader's Digest!?!?!? Why don't they claim that you won lifetime passes to The Howdy Doody Show? Talk about targeting a boomer!

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Luckily if that is true - I have had no problems. Yahoo in the past has had several breaches . Bottom line 'we ain't safe no way- anywhere'

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are some secure web-based email platforms but most are not free. Proton is the only real secure free platform I know.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually, the Reader's Digest is back in publication. But I don't think they do sweepstakes.
    I am still waiting for my Nigerian Prince.:rolleyes:

John Brunner likes this.