Scanning Old Photos, A Trip Down Memory Lane.

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My mom and dad (especially my mother) took a lot of pictures over the years, and after they passed away, I had a whole box of old pictures and photo albums she had made. The albums were the old style with black heavy paper and the pictures were glued in.
    Eventually, I gave a lot of the pictures to my kids, and the last batch I gave to Robin before I had the heart operation.
    Since I belong to a couple of Facebook groups for old pictures, I have been wanting to look at the pictures again and scan some of them into the ipad and post them into the group . Robin brought me the containers with the old pictures, and I downloaded the. Heirloom scanning app (which was free) onto the iphone and the ipad, and have spent the last few days looking through the photos and scanning them in.
    Now that I have seen them all, I am going to go back through everything again and try to organize it all before I give it back to Robin to keep. I have uploaded the photos to my Flickr app, and arranging them into albums of the different times and areas where the pictures were taken.
    Some are way back into the 1920's when my folks were first married and moved to California, and others are from when I was growing up, and some of the newer ones are pictures that I took when my kids were younger.
    It has been a lot of fun looking at the old pictures again, and I actually have a better timeline on the family history then I had before.
    Here I am in my "Dale Evans" cowgirl outfit.

Attached Files:

Von Jones and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I scanned all of our old photos, put those on USB's and then sent some to SIL. Sometimes I will put an old photo on Facebook on Thursday or Friday for "Throwback Thursday" or "Flash Back Friday".

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

We have a printer/scanner too, @Cody Fousnaugh ; but it takes a while to scan each picture using the scanner. Since I didn't need the picture to be "scanner-perfect" quality , I decided to just use a scanner app and quickly scan the pictures with my iphone. There are quite a few of these apps available, but most of them cost money, and some need a yearly subscription in order to scan unlimited photos and save them online.
    The Heirloom app was free, and it is easy to use; plus by putting the photos on my Flickr page, it is easy for me to share them with my family and friends.
    I still have a lot more that I will scan and upload a bit at a time as I go back through the pictures and sort them by place and date.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I can scan multiple photos on our scanner. Depending on the size of the photos, up to 8 photos. Then, using the printer/scanner software, I can split the photos up so they come out individually on the computer. It took me some time to do it all, but a few months ago I got all of them done. All of our photo USB's can be shown on our tv thru our Blue-Ray DVD Player. Pretty nice.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yes, it is awesome to be able to put the pictures up on the television, and we sometimes do that as well. We have an older model Apple TV box, and it will show my camera roll as the screensaver on the television, so it scrolls through the pictures, or you can set it to show an ever-changing collage of the different photos.
    We can also use AirPlay to put single photos up on the television screen; but normally, we just use the ipads to look at the pictures, and I can edit them with photo-editing apps on the ipad.
    Photo sharing has certainly come a long ways from the days when my mom ordered several copies of prints to be able to mail them to family or friends, and pasted the ones she wanted to keep into her photo scrapbook.

6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

We also uploaded/scanned family pictures to save to SD cards.

Gave each of the boys one of those Digital picture frames loaded
    with old family photos. Fine tuned it for each one, so they could see changing years.

Put in an SD card, and watch it roll through the pictures. Nice.

I have ours hanging by the bar so friends can look up and see
    us in our 'uncorrupted' youth...:eek:

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, never heard of keeping photos on SD cards. I know the SD cards we have are used inside our two digital camera's. Take a photo with the camera and it goes on the SD card. Take the SD card out of the camera, put into SD slot on the front of our computer tower and download all photo's on it to a computer software for further processing.

We use USB Flash Drives for saving photos on and other things like Excel maintenance records for vehicle and boat.

8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

The ones we bought were simular to this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Either desk set-up or hang from wall.
    Most have internal memory and a slot for an SD card.