Scents That Men / Women Like

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems to me that when women are buying something with a scent, such as a shampoo, soap, or deodorant, they will often get something that smells like a fruit or a flower, while men might prefer something that smells like a tree. Of course when I say that, I am well aware that not everyone falls into such a pattern, and I am not at all talking about the names of manufactured fragrances; just a rough estimate.

While I like the scent of several flowers and fruits, that's not generally what I would choose for myself. Rather, I would choose pine tar soap and neutral deodorants. Coconut soap is okay because those coconuts could kill you if you were hit in the head with one, so no one can say they're not manly. If only I were gay, I could use lavender, because I like lavender. As for lilacs, I love the smell of the ones I grow outdoors but I don't want to wash my hair with it or spread it under my arms. If my wife wouldn't give me a hard time about it, I'd use Old Spice, though. Lemon is a good scent, so when my wife makes soap with lemon, I'll use that. Okay, maybe some fruits and flowers are okay.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My dad used to wear Old Spice and I'm so glad they still make this scent because every time I smell Old Spice it brings back wonderful memories of my dad who was killed when I was only 12 years old.

I like the baby lotion scent (in the pink container) and I also like the scent of coconut. I don't use perfume but do buy the baby lotion and coconut scented body lotions and bath soaps. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the fragrance of Old Spice.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

As far back as I can remember, we kids would go in together and get my grandpa a huge bottle of Old Spice for Christmas. He'd joyfully exclaim that it was EXACTLY what he wanted for Christmas and we'd all troop upstairs and watch him take the old bottle down off the shelf and put the new bottle up and then stand there and admire it.

It wasn't until long after his death that my grandma admitted to us that he couldn't stand the smell of Old Spice. My grandpa was the sweetest man on earth and he would never, never, never have told us that he didn't like our gift.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Scented candles for men

[​IMG]

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I love, love, love citrus scent and didn't have any luck finding the right perfume until I discovered a blood orange scent from Pacifica that's made in Italy. Up until then, I'd just keep orange and tangerine peels in the refrigerator and squeeze some of the peel oil onto my pulse points. The aroma would last for quite a while because it was "oil based".

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I think they also come in "Ancient Recliner" and "SlimJim Sausage". I heard they discontinued "Old Jock Strap", though.

8. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Hoppes Number 9 Scent, wish I could find a woman who likes it. Had 1 and she passed.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

My Dad used Sea Breeze.
    [​IMG]

I like Halston Z-14....although a bit pricey. Although it came with a car!;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A sentimental favorite is Old Spice.....which I call "Odd Spice".o_O
    [​IMG]

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

My first perfume was a gift box for Christmas as a teenager---a four scent selection from Faberge. The only one I liked was Tigress. For decades the smell of Tigress instantly reminded me of Christmas. They finally quit making it.
    perfume.jpg

Another favorite was Cie, advertised by Candace Bergen. They quit making that also.:( I still have some in a bottle with a broken atomizer. Thinking about cracking it open with a hammer one day. :D

cie.jpg

Old Spice was my first serious boyfriend's after shave. When I got over him, I got over Old Spice also. A bit too strong.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When Johnny Cash wrote the song "Forty Shades of Green" in 1961, he included all the names of Irish places. They could all be found on the map, except one. The line "Where the breeze is sweet as Shalimar.....", refers to his Wife June's favorite perfume.
    [​IMG]

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I always loved the scent of Shalimar perfume, too; and just about any kind of perfume with musk in it. Actually, one of my most favorite fragrances is the smell of fresh evergreens, pine, fir, balsam, or cedar.
    We always had a fresh-from-the-forest Christmas Tree each year, and I just loved how the whole house seemed to smell of that fir tree that my dad brought home.
    My dad was a power lineman, and he often worked out on the back roads, fixing power lines that had been trashed by a windstorm, or even a squirrel in the transformer; so he would spot the trees during the summer months, and then in December, he brought home trees for us, our next door neighbor, as well as huge tree for the power company office, and usually some for some of the people who worked in the front office.
    It was a pretty usual thing to see him driving home in the big line truck with a fluffy Christmas Tree tied on top.

Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.