Seed Catalogs

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been getting seed catalogs in the mail since before Christmas. I doubt if we'll order from them this year since we plan to have a smaller garden and will get what we need locally.
    It's fun to look thru the catalogs though. We have sure bought a lot from them over the years.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Good News!;)
    [​IMG]

Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Gosh...is it that time again already?:) Now that I will be home more often this year I am thinking of expanding our garden space this year. And trying to grow some strawberries, etc. in hanging baskets. It will still be small since there is only the two of us...but I think I want to add a few new things this Spring.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We love it when the garden catalogs come in each year, too; but the trees are so overgrown on both this property and the surrounding properties, that nothing grows well. For the last two years, we have barely gotten a few tomatoes and peppers and not much else. Some of the seeds were eaten by the squirrels, and the ones that sprouted just didn't get enough sunlight. And they didn't grow hardly at all. The tomatoes grew tall and scraggly, with only a few tomatoes on each plant.
    This year, I have decided that I will focus on taking better care of the fruit trees and berries that we have planted and see if I can't get those to produce better at least. Last year, the peach trees were fulll of blossoms, but they little peaches were dropping off when they were cherry sized; so I think if I spend more time making sure they are watered and healthy, then we can at least have some blueberries and peaches. I hope.
    Nevertheless, I will be looking at the seed catalogs, and probably will plant something.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

What I have never understood is that vegetables grown in the garden may be from tiny plants purchased, or seeds planted. What gives here? My wife has always bought the started plants. Why? Dunno. There are many kinds of veggie seeds on the rack in packages. Is that route less certain?
    Frank

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

If I only want one or very few of a certain variety I often buy plants. For row crops such as corn, beans, peas, etc. we plant seeds. Other things we might go either way.