Senior Moments

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess all of us do not need any help in realizing we are getting older. I decided that a few minutes ago I would put down some "Senior Moments" I have enjoyed today.

1. A few minutes ago I wanted a cup of coffee. Since I only wanted one cup, I decided on instant. Very simple operaton. In one cup goes the coffee crystals and the other water to be heated in the microwave. So with the water cup in hand, I marched to the balcony and for the life of me could not find the microwave! DUH! Let's try the kitchen next!

2. Next, is a bit more important. Next week I have to go to Bangkok and go to the US Embassy for some paperwork I need to renew my visa. They make you print out the appointment now and since I don't have a printer, I copied the readout to a flashdrive. About thirty minutes later, I found myself in an inernet shop, but then remembered that I left the drive on my bed so I would not forget it!

3. I made some terrible chicken soup as you can see in the picture. It tasted great, chicken legs, mushroom soup and coconut milk. But, when I started to eat it, comes the dawn...I don't like using my fingers in food.

[​IMG]

Well, it is only 2 pm now and so I wonder what will be next! Any senior moment from you?

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

My senior moments is more on my outlook and preparation in life. Whereas before, i don't include pre- need plans in my planning, now i think of those preparations and that include burial plans etc.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Richard, I have had my share of senior moments but when I think of them none can compare to this....

My Mom has been gone for three years now but it seems like she is still around when my sons talk about her. Last year my second son was having friends over at my house for a cookout. At some point he just came up to me and said, 'Ma, didn't Gran leave me at the store one day?':eek: Now if that is not a senior moment to tell I don't know what is. The secrets between grandparents and grandchildren.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use a standard drip coffee maker downstairs, while we have a Keurig upstairs. At least once a week, I will get coffee started downstairs, then come back when I think it should be ready only to find that I had neglected to add water.

While my wife was away visiting her family in New Mexico for a week, I remembered that I used to like Hamburger Helper and Tuna Helper, although I hadn't had either for quite some time. I went to the store and bought some Tuna Helper, mixed it into the pot, and heated it up, only to find that it was horrible. Some time after I had thrown it away, I remembered what I had forgotten -- the tuna.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A really down-to-earth senior moment usually happens when I walk through a door. Doors are "event boundaries" that clear your brain to get ready for the next event. ;)
    [​IMG]

Richard Paradon likes this.
  6. Richard Paradon

Registered

Well I am happy that I am not the only one around here!
    @Teresita Campaner By senior moment I was meaning things that happen to us in a humorous way.
    @Von Jones Yes, there is always secrets between kids and grandparents! I am often getting messages between my granddaughter that start off, Don't tell my Dad...
    @Ken Anderson You are now making me feel happy! LOL

Pat Baker likes this.
  7. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Senior moments are appreciated, something I fall ack on when I don't want to tell a person what I am really up. I tell them I forgot you know senior moment going on here and smile.

8. Richard Paradon

Registered

Back when I was in the States and had to go to a family function (which often were boring), more than once I'd feign sleep and love hearing, "Oh, Grandpa fell asleep again!"

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My best senior moment(s) always seem to occur when someone asks me, "How old are you?" Somehow I have to really think and add or subtract to figure it out and then I end up saying something like, "I think that's right.":D

10. Richard Paradon

Registered

Just be like my grandmother who was one of the first people to have Social Security. Her number started with 000 ! For years, she only put down 21+ and got away with it! Not too shabby!

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"The first SS card was issued to John David Sweeney, Jr., of Westchester County, New York, was the person who was issued Social Security Number 055-09-0001 in November 1936.

Grace D. Owen of Concord, New Hampshire, who applied for her number on November 24, 1936 and was issued the first card typed in Concord, which, because of the area number scheme, also happened to be the card with the lowest possible number: SSN 001-01-0001".

http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/firstcard.html

12. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

This is very interesting to me, I recently had someone tell me that they knew of a man man that was a grandfather that had a grandson whose social security number was only one digit apart and I cannot imagine that this could be true. I guess it would not be impossible but I can't quite understand how this could just happen simply because there were so many years between the two people. Since i do not know the people I have no way to look this up and verify it. Joe do you think that it is possible for something like that to happen?

I also remember that I was told once that younger people that have a social security number that starts with a zero actually have a recycled number that had belonged to someone else who died already. My ex-husband had one that started with a zero, he is 54 now so I guess whoever had it must have died pretty young. Sort of sad when you think about it that way. His number started at 056 so I guess that would make it one of the first ones from 1936? I guess it was possible that if that number was assigned to an older person back in 1936 when it started they could have been older, it is not like today where babies get the numbers. Either way that first person only live 26 years after 1936. Wonder if they ever even got to collect social security?

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Social Security number consists of nine digits separated into three parts. Until 1972, the first three digits (area number) represented an area code, indicating the location of the Social Security office that issued the number, not necessarily the place of birth. Since 1972, these numbers have been issued centrally, in Baltimore, so the first three numbers now indicate the person's state of residence. There were several exceptions to these rules, mostly dealing with children born to American parents abroad.

The second set of (two) numbers (group number) has no special geographic or data significance. It is used to break the numbers into blocks of convenient size for SSA's processing operations, and for controlling the assignments to the various states.

The last four digits (serial number) is a numerical series within each group that is assigned sequentially. For each area number, the group number follows an odd and even sequence starting with odd numbers 01-09, even numbers 10-98, even numbers 02-08, and odd numbers 11 to 99. The serial number begins with 0001 and continues in sequence, except every fifth SSN is given a serial number from the series 2001-2999 and 7001-7999. The last three serial numbers issued are 9998, 9999, and 7999. Serial number 0000 is never used.

Each state goes through all of its area numbers with group number 01 and serial numbers 0001-9999 and 7999 before using group number 03. In that way, 989,901 SSN's can be issued for each area number.

Mal Campbell likes this.
  14. Richard Paradon

Registered

Apparently my number was incorrect.

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Jenn, I find it hard to believe that a grandfather and grandson's SS# is only one digit apart. Maybe it's a new time-travel paradox... if a man traveled back in time and traded SS cards with his grandfather, would his monthly SS check be larger when he returned??;)