Seniors Too Young!

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Warmly,
    Hal
    Not at all, @Bess Barber!
    But when you're in your 80's, the things you recall with nostalgia today will be even more precious!

Warmly,
    Hal

2. Hal Pollner

Registered

I don't doubt that at all, @Lon Tanner, with you being a couple years my Senior!

Hal

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

My mum who died age 39 (in 73).. would be 85 now!! I wish she was here to reminisce with you ..her peers!!

4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Me Too......

H.P.

Holly Saunders and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh my......I'll turn into my mom who tells the SAME stories at least once a month. I never know whether to tell her I've heard it a hundred times or just play along and act interested. :D

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bob Kirk
    Don Winslow of the Navy.
    The Crimson Ghost.
    Flash Gordon Series.

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

I remember "Don Winslow of the Navy"!

It was in comic book form and was popular during the War years and even after 1945.

Hal

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    I saw it in a movie series around 1950, certainly by then a re-showing. About 30 minute episodes, one weekly on Saturday mornings.
    Frank

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

I'd listen twice, then say she's already told you....if she doesn't have memory problems and she tells you a story more than once and you act interested she may know very well she told you before, and she'll think you're not listening!!..so if you make her aware she told you already she'll feel that you are indeed listening to her! Cherish her Beth, you're very lucky to still have your mum!

Yvonne Smith and Bess Barber like this.
  10. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just had to repeat that. Bess lucky, lucky you. May you have your mom for many more years. PS--My mom repeated her stories even when she was young! Even my son knows them by heart! I found it wasn't worth mentioning because she would repeat them no matter what I said. So, I learned to just listen as I was bound to hear them anyway!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  11. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We took care of my MIL until she died. Full blown alzheimers was something else to deal with. Cold sheets she thought the bed was wet, bought an electric blanket to heat the bed but had to remove it just before she was going to sleep for the night. One time she saw the on light there was a fear of fire. Before going to work in the morning I'd make her toast & coffee her favorite breakfast. Later when my wife got up she complained that no one gave her anything to eat.

Like others when she was fairly lucid she would tell stories from the times she remembered. Probably the funniest was when she would see herself in the mirror and ask who it was in the picture. Our home was bilevel, when our kids were downstairs listening to the TV she would ask if we knew the other people that lived where she heard the voices from the TV. Lots of great memories even though caring for her was not easy.

12. Hal Pollner

Registered

I like it!
    Harry

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Staff Member Greeter Patron Registered

I so totally agree with this, and wish that my mom could still be around, but she did live into her 80’s, so I had her and listened to her stories for many years.
    My mom also told the same stories over and over, but I guess that i just always enjoyed hearing them. She used to tell me about when she was little and living on the Indian Reservation in Arizona, where my grandfather was the Indian Agent, and her best friend was a young Indian girl that she went to school with.
    They got there in a buckboard, and she said that the wild longhorns would chase the buckboard to attack it, and the driver would have to fight them off with his bullwhip to prevent them from turning the wagon over and killing everyone.
    I listened to that story as a little girl, vividly imagining the scene in my mind, and grew up terrified of cows.....any cow.
    When my kids were little and we visited my mom and dad, she used to tell the same “bedtime story” to my daughter, Robin, so she also grew up terrified of cows.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Tell her you've only heard it ten times.
    Hal