Shana Tova, Jewish New Year

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Steve North, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I would like to wish all my Jewish friends and family on here a SHANA TOVA which is a very HAPPY JEWISH NEW YEAR ...

PS....... I tried to insert a picture but I couldn't.....

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, this looks like a coincidence to the recent issue against our president who mentioned the holocaust when he compared himself with Hitler who killed 3 million Jews and he, our president Duterte, is willing to kill 3 million drug pushers. But anyway, I am hoping that the Jews will not take offense to that statement for our president is sometimes not careful with his words but he meant no offense. And for the Jews who will read this thread, may I greet you a happy new year.

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Steve North , I looked it up to see exactly what it means and either it was a very complicated definition or too simplistic so if you don't mind telling us...

How do you and your wife celebrate?

6. Steve North

Registered

Can someone PLEASE tell me where you got those inserts on here..
    I have been looking for a site and I can't find one.
    I went to Google and the inserts they provided cannot be transferred to this site.. It says this site cannot be transferred..
    Not only for this holiday, but for others as well......

Thanks....

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

SHANA TOVA to you, Steve and to our Jewish brothers and sisters everywhere.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

When you say "inserts' do you mean pictures or images?

Where are you having the problem?

When you google "Jewish New Year", do you click on images so that you are looking at images and not the web?

I'm on an ipad so it will be better if someone on a computer walks you through it, but where you problem is will help
    Knowing...

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Shana Tovah, I never even heard that phrase before, but Mazeltov, and best wishes to all who are celebrating. I think that it is one of the options that you can enjoy. I guess the day of atonement comes before all the celebration! I really like all the neat images on the site though, they are really cute. It is just one of the things that you might need when you are showing others what you are celebrating. I am not to knowledgeable about Judaism.

11. Steve North

Registered

Thank-you everyone for the good wishes..
    I really appreciate it............ and I mean it sincerely.......... It really makes me feel welcomed on here as well as accepted (as compared to the other senior forum where I was told that all this nonsense isn't necessary and to stop it)

As far as how we celebrate the Jewish New Year, it is supposed to be a family celebration as most holidays are, however we don't have any family up in the north with us so we are on our own.. We go to Synagogue for the traditional services and then other than a meal in the Synagogue after services, we are (as I said) on our own.. The Synagogue is in Sudbury which is about a 90 minuet drive from our house.. Obviously in our village, there isn't any Synagogue.. We have a population of just under 1000 people and I am the only Jewish person here.. There is a Jewish cemetery here in Massey, as at one time there was quite the Jewish community..
    I think if one wants more information, Google does quite the job at giving you all there is to know..

The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur as it is called) is next week and it is the most holiest day of the year for Jewish people.. It is the day where we fast from sunset to sunset.. When I say fast, I mean exactly that.. A total fast and we go to Synagogue for the day..
    Again, I won't be fasting as at our age and with the medications one must have daily, it isn't advisable to fast..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish you a, "L Shana Tovah." .....I'll be going over to Miami for services. I think.....were keeping a watch on the hurricane:eek: The town I grew up in only had 5 Jewish families. We went to Toledo, Oh. for Shabbat, and visited with the Bubes (grandmas).:)

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My daughter-in-law, and also a Facebook friend, are what is called "Messianic Jew", and so they keep the same Old Testament festivals and traditions. I don't know that much about them, because I was raised with the traditional Christian holidays.
    Now that I have learned that most of the holidays that Christians celebrate aren't really anything to do with Christianity, and were pagan festivals before they were assimilated into the Christian churches, I have stopped celebrating those holidays, too.
    Personally, it seems like the Old Testament Holy Days are a much better choice for Christians than the ones we celebrate now.
    I add my "Shana Tova" to everyone elses here, and I am also glad that you chose to come to this forum, @Steve North .

Joe Riley likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll always celebrate Christmas, Yvonne!! :) I probably don't do it for the religious reasons anyway.

Pretty sure Elf on the Shelf isn't catholic. Actually it's a newer idea to drive moms crazier. Kind of glad it wasn't around when my kids were small....but I do enjoy it now....not my problem. :)

15. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

There are so many kinds of Jews.
    There are different Jews. Ashkenazi who are North European, Germany, Poland, Russia. Then Sephardic who are Mediterranean (like myself). We come from countries that boarder the Mediterranean Sea. And Reform (liberal) Most Sephardic are merchants, some professional and the Ashkenazi are very much professional. There is Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform. Reform Jews call, place of worship temples. Orthodox and Conservative place of worship Synagogue. What I found interesting not long ago, an 800 yr. old law was overturned concerning, the acceptance of rice dishes at Passover. Sephardic Rebes have for centuries,included rice for Passover. For a Sephardic Jew this is our main staple of food. And for Ashkenazi Jews rice has a shaft and was forbidden at a Passover Sader. When growing up, Christmas was going to a Chinese restaurant and at least watching a double feature movie. That changed, when in my 20's it was helping our Christian friends and merchants so they could go to Christmas parties, Christmas pageants. They helped us during Hanukkah. The whole month of December is magical. :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016