Sharing A Letter That Was My Uncles From Ww2

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Tex Dennis, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite uncle was German and a friend gave him this to keep for him was with it. I did the translation best we could with my neighbor's help, this all I know about it.

It was July 1941 and U-111 had completed her first patrol. They were in the port city of Lorient for 2 weeks leave.
    For my dad and most of the crew, Admiral Donitz was like a living legend, and to meet him in person would be very special!
    This is how my dad remembered the day.
    “It was announced that Admiral Donitz would be making an appearance!
    “We assembled in front of a former French administration building. A military brass band was playing. We were in uniform in the simmering heat of the shadow less square.
    And then.....he came, followed by his staff and a group of guest officers from the Army and Airforce.
    He shook hands with each of us! Then stepping back a few paces, he gave a short speech. All I can remember of this was his well known phrase-
    “For us U-boot men, the day has 24 hours. If this is not enough, we’ll add on the night!”
    He then paused shortly, while one of his staff stepped forward, holding an open box of medals in his hands.
    Then Admiral Doenitz pinned the U-boot badge to our chests!
    Later in the evening this day was crowned by a delicious supper. Wearing our white gala uniforms, we were seated, disregarding rank and order.
    This is how I came to sit directly across from the Admiral!!! Lieutenant Fuchs from our boat, was on my left.
    Needless to say I was a little tense! A great variety of food was served, starting with turkey.
    Not wanting to make a fool of myself, I glanced over at the Admiral, to see how he was holding his cutlery, when he solved the problem before it even became one.
    “Boys” he said. “Don’t forget that I am a U-boot man too”. And then , taking a turkey leg with his fingers, he continued. “ Forget about my uniform and think of me as sitting here in my underwear!”
    Even if he had been sitting there in his underwear as he advised us to imagine, he would have retained his dignity and our respect!
    As the meal proceeded, wine and champagne was served continuously by a very attentive group of very attractive young French women!
    The adjutant of Admiral Donitz sat across from Fuchs, who sat beside me. The two of them were friends from earlier years.
    Always the prankster, I knew Fuchs was up to something, some joke. With a wink of his eye he poked his elbow into my side. Then I noticed this cherry pit between his fingers. I just hoped it wouldn’t accidentally slip onto my white shirt instead of at his friend across the table. However, Fuchs had miscalculated the missile’s trajectory, and it hit the Admiral square on the chest!!
    At first the Admiral gave the appearance that he had not noticed the incident at all, but then he suddenly threw a whole cherry back onto Fuch’s gala jacket.
    But then, suspecting Fuch’s plan, who now had a mischievous grin and was playfully holding the entire bowl of cherries in his hand, Donitz warningly waved his finger at him.
    “Son” he said. “This you have never been taught by me”, thereby averting an upcoming “pie throwing” battle.
    The night was long, with much singing and laughter, and the champagne, wine, German beer, and cognac flowed freely as long as the demand lasted. It finally came to an end at 06:00 in the morning, beginning with a normal day of duty!
    And so ended the day, when my dad met Admiral Donitz!!!

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting letter showing fighting men are all the same on both sides. If you can find it, get a hold of the movie Das Boot. I'm using the Microsoft Edge browser and used the "read aloud" function to read it to me...pretty cool.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I was thinking. It shows the human side of the Germans.

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The German word for "boat" is "boot", but is pronounced "BOAT"!

Herr Hal

6. Tex Dennis

Registered

I have the movie and am very knowledgeable of it I cant count how many times I have seen it they even have a website for it and Facebook members of both of those for years, thank you. To me the 4 hr German version is the one to see and that one I have, also read up on uboat.net they have everything there. Anyone that had any uboat books to trade let me know as I have many.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  7. Tex Dennis

Registered

ub2.jpg Adding to above on the Das Boot Facebook site several of the cast are also there and chat/comment.

Terry Coywin likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Aw, men will always be boys. :) Thanks for sharing.

9. Tex Dennis

Registered

It was interesting growing with 2 uncles 1 German the other American that fought against each other, 2 of the best people I ever met, also my best friend is German. I speak German also.

10. Tex Dennis

Registered

There is a Russian movie about a T34 tank The Beast that is also very good as to the human side another on Croatian and UN troops titled No Man's Land that shows another side to the Red Cross. Very different movies.