Should Amazon Run & Manage Our Government?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I continue to be impressed with the efficiency in every thing they do in so many areas. I just recently I had them correct a $450.00 error that was clearly my fault. They had my Visa credited Post Haste.
    Maybe Jim Bezos should run for Public Office.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Jack Knight

Jack Knight Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sounds good except running government like a business has the problem of professional politicians using tax money to get re-elected. Corporate management in order to keep the job they have need to pruduce results for the companys they work for. Not all do and not all stay employed.

This web Amazon site shows the minimalist approach to hiring & keeping the best people in the positions they were hired for.
    https://ir.aboutamazon.com/board-of-directors
    Government on the other hand has 467 house representatives & 100 senate representatives. Plus their aids. Sitting down to get anything done takes years sometimes. For example the Democrats plan to fund goverment to end the shut down doesn't include funding for the wall. Since Democrats hold the majority in the house whatever is proposed will probaly pass. The Republican Senate will probably kill whatever, if not Pres. Trump will probably veto whatever. Huge waste of time !!

I can see that Democrats favor legislation to get votes and not be concerned with their primary job of security for all Americans.

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Just a thought, but do we need professional politicians? Could citizens get fair representation with out them?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still holding out for an alien invasion (and I'm not talking from south of the border.)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Anyone remember the Grace Commission? Suggestions made to run the government like a business. It wasn't so much the elected representatives that killed it as it was the bureaucratic establishment. All those bureaucrats fought everything that was suggested, and in the end not even one of the suggestions was implemented. If you remember Jimmie Carter and "zero-based budgeting" also went the same way.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Amazon would be having robots running our Government in no time and I for one do not want that.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Personally, I think we might do better if we were to choose our presidents and Congress by a random lottery of people who are not currently incarcerated or committed to an insane asylum, but I wouldn't be in favor of privatizing the government. Given corporate control of our elected officials, we've gone a bit too far in that direction, as it is.

That said, I do agree that Amazon.com is more efficient than most companies and far more efficient than any governmental body, apart from the fact that my deliveries have been consistently late for the past year or more, which hadn't previously been the case. However, I prefer an inefficient government to an efficient one.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    Non-politician individuals charged with politician-type job requirements, will, I think, eventually become "politicians", like it or not.
    Frank

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe that our founding fathers would be rolling in their graves if they knew wht had become of their dream. Professional politicians were not part of the dream. And in my humble opinion the ideal would be to strip our politicians of their gold benefit packages. Their retirement pay is more than I ever made. I don't begrudge people making huge incomes but politicians are living off the public teat.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just imagine what Medicare and Social Security would be if Congress had to live under the same rules as the rest of us.

12. Al Amoling

Registered

Well Don I don't think they'd be so anxious to keep those plum jobs.

13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

My take is that claiming politicians are heavily overpaid is a popular sport the world over. Compared to what? After all, nobody deserves what they get paid. Clearly, there's no agreement on what would be a decent remuneration for politicians because if somebody's attitude toward them is basically negative, they are inclined to grant them very little. Yet the question is: What kind of compensation may still ensure that you find people for the job who are no dumbasses as that might backfire, too.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Al Amoling

Registered

If a Congress person goes to Washington almost broke(like the rest of us) and when they retire have amassed several millions, I think they deserve to be looked at with disdain.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do not have a problem with those in congress making a fair salary and possibly a small pension after they retire.
    What I definitely do have a problem with is the amount of money and other compensations that elected officials make from lobby groups and corporations.
    It’s bribery and at the very minimum creates a conflict of interest and should be illegal. People like Cortez walk into a congressional position butt broke and within a couple of years will be millionaires. Even our past president walked out of office owning 3 mansions and bidding on another one. He was a millionaire prior to being elected but not 4 mansions worth.

To me, the most honorable position a person can hold in the federal government is the position of the American soldier. How much is giving your life for your country worth compared to a congress person living high on the figurative hog and only having to work around 6 months out of a year sitting on one’s posterior comforted by a padded seat and a full wallet?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019