Should We Buy Greenland?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Joe Riley, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Their wealth of resources is being uncovered by the ice melting, as per climate change. They have TOO MANY as opposed to their former worth of Few Little, what with all that bothersome ice covering everything. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to be a part of us anymore. We might have to Force Them. That's not right, right?

Peter Renfro likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How Greenland could become China's Arctic base
    China's air power
    At present you can only fly to Nuuk in small propeller-driven planes. In four years, though, that will change spectacularly.

The Greenlandic government has decided to build three big international airports capable of taking large passenger jets.

China is bidding for the contracts.

There'll be pressure from the Danes and Americans to ensure the Chinese bid doesn't succeed, but that won't stop China's involvement in Greenland.

Interestingly, I found that opinion about the Chinese tended to divide along ethnic lines.

Danish people were worried about it, while Inuits thought it was a good idea.

The Greenlandic prime minister and foreign minister refused to speak to us about their government's attitude to China, but a former prime minister, Kuupik Kleist, told us he thought it would be good for Greenland.

But the foreign affairs spokesman of the main Venstre party in the Danish coalition government, Michael Aastrup Jensen, was forthright about Chinese involvement in Greenland.

"We don't want a communist dictatorship in our own backyard," he said.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No way. We can't take care of what we've got now.

Peter Renfro likes this.
  5. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Be even worse if China is let to put Military bases in Greenland because they brought it threw the back door.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Joe Riley, perhaps I overlooked it, but Where is your link from? That is crucial if you use a link as evidence to support a claim. Thanks.

7. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Greenlanders Tell Conan O'Brien What They Really Think Of Trump's Buying Idea
    '
    Conan O’Brien asked the people of Greenland how they felt about President Donald Trump’s rebuffed idea of buying the autonomous Danish territory for the United States.

And those interviewed by the late night TV host had an overwhelmingly negative response. “I don’t want Trump to be my president,” said one Greenlander in the “Conan Without Borders” special that aired Tuesday.
    https://news.yahoo.com/greenland-conan-donald-trump-112255507.html

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

At the present time, I see no real reason to consider it.
    Just about the only significance I see thus far is it’s militarily strategic location near the pole.
    It’s a point but not necessarily a good point.
    If D. Trump is re-elected, it will only be for another 4 years and no longer.
    The overwhelming question that should be asked is if they want to be under the Constitution of the U.S.
    Presidents will come and go throughout the rest of U.S. history so basing the choice on who is president at the time should be a non-issue.

Setting aside whether or not I personally believe we should buy Greenland, the country will only be a territory of the U.S. that is, unless I missed something.
    It may never reach statehood which means they will have their own government but as a U.S. territory similar to Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some people. Put. The. Links. In as words and so it doesn’t really show. Up as a link, just as a. Title. In. A different color of letters...
    If you click. On @Joe Riley ’s. Link, it will take. You. To the basic article. That he quoted from.
    (Keyboard is goofy today)

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I always go to Conan O'Brien (and other late-night comedians) for my hard news.

Ken Anderson and Bess Barber like this.
  11. Lulu Moppet

Registered

An interview is an interview, and more people gleaned stuff years ago from the 'Daily Show' than they did from Faux or MSNBC

12. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

As you said

Nothing is gleaned from Noah.

Or the other fake News

Beth Gallagher and Bess Barber like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@ Joe Riley Thanks for all the great info!! I guess some people don't realize what a complete vulnerable position The USA and Europe would be in if China were to have military access to Greenland. Denmark is in no position to help those 50,000 Greenland citizens from becoming a communist outpost. I imagine, just like many other countries, the handful of liberal Greenlanders mouthing against the USA, do not represent the majority of core citizens who have better sense.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If we don't buy it, China will.