Shows That I (Sometimes) Miss

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At this moment, I am watching an episode of Howdy Doody, including period advertisements, on one of the free Roku channels called Movie Time. I had forgotten how into that show, and psyched up, the kids who were in the audience were.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh wow, Ken, that is certainly a blast from the past. A few years ago we lost our cable channels and resorted to an antennae box thingy (I'm not technical..lol) which had a station that carried all sorts of older shows. Not as far back at Howdy Doody, but a few were "The Andy Griffith Show", The Rifleman and The Incredible Hulk. I really enjoyed seeing them again, although hubby didn't care for them. It wasn't long before we got cable back..

3. Joss Brown

Joss Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently discovered Space 1999 on Hulu. I used to run home from school to watch that show. I always did my homework early so my mom would let me watch it. The costumes and special effects look dated but I don't care.

I also watch the original version of Star Trek. I'm not bother by the dated special effects either. The storylines still hold up except for a couple of episodes.

I also discovered the School House Rock short programs on YouTube. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time reliving my childhood watching them. My favorite is "Conjunction Junction".

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. Ken Anderson

I think Space 1999 was created to compete with Lost in Space. While most people seemed to prefer Lost in Space, I preferred Space 1999.

5. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

I miss the sitcom type shows of the 1980s, like Three's company etc. I also miss MASH. I hate so called "reality TV" it seems to have absolutely no substance. Then again the 1980s had a lot of shows with limited substance like the A-Team, the show with the talking care, and the show with the helicopter.

6. Joss Brown

Joss Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

I watched Lost in Space for a little while. I thought the plots were similar and Dr. Smith really annoyed me. I know that he was meant to be annoying, but it was too much for me. I read that a remake is in the works.

Lost in Space reminded me of another childhood favorite show, Land of the Giants. I used to watch the episodes when the then SciFi Channel ran them.

7. Ken Anderson

Dr. Smith was intended to be a bad guy, and not a comedic character. Knowing that bad guys didn't last long on television series of that day, he tried to make his character more likeable.

8. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Space 1999 (loved that as a kid - girl that could shape shift into animals). It was the kid in Lost in Space that agged me (I like the Dr). I preferred Blake Seven (UK) it was a lot darker.

I watched some of the original Phil Silvers Show (Sgnt Bilko) - still just as funny today!

9. Herbert Jennings

Herbert Jennings Veteran Member
    Registered

I miss the sitcoms from the 80s and 90s the most. I just can't seem to get into the newer stuff. My wife always wants me to watch some shows with her but I can't really relate or I just don't think that they are funny or entertaining in any way.

10. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a channel here that shows the old shows like Maverick, Lone Ranger and others. I love westerns it is neat to watch some of the old shows.

11. Ken Anderson

If not my favorite, "Maverick" is very close to being my favorite series. I just ordered the series from Netflix, and this will be the second time I've done that.

12. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd love to find a channel that shows The Courtship of Eddie's Father. I haven't seen that in a long time. I would also love to see Laugh-In.

13. Ken Anderson

I liked "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" too, but it doesn't seem like that one is ever available anywhere.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I didn't usually watch much television, and there really is not any particular shows that I can think of that were popular and I miss.
    I liked Gunsmoke, but didn't watch it except now and then. Paladin (Have Gun, Will Travel) was okay, too; but maybe the one that I enjoyed the most, and looked forward to was called "The Rebel, Johnny Yuma".
    I usually watched that one every week when it was on; but I have never looked to find any of them on Netflix.
    I much prefer a regular movie to a series, I think.
    Every weekend, most of the kids went to the theater and watched the matinee, and it was most generally a western.
    Audie Murphy was my very favorite, and I also liked Jeff Chandler as Cochise, and Jimmy Stewart in just about anything he played in.
    I am sure that I didn't miss any of the Audie Murphy westerns, and actually even went to see the true story of Audie Murphy, To Hell and Back, which he starred as himself.
    I don't watch war movies; but I did go to see this one, and it was awesome to see him become the most decorated soldier of WW2.

15. Ken Anderson

I see that Amazon.com has "The Courtship of Eddie's Father," but it's not prime. Looking further, I see that it's not the series that they have, but the 1963 two-hour movie, with Glenn Ford and Ron Howard, that the series was based on. I don't think I've seen that though, so I guess I'll rent it.

Did you know that Brandon Cruz, who played Eddie in the series, became a punk rock musician? He was the lead vocalist with "Dead Kennedys" for a couple of years. He played punk rock from the 1980s until 2010.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015