Shutting Off The Narrator

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw this on the forum some time ago, but forgot where I saw it.

This is so annoying!

Thanks,
    Hal

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've no idea what you're talking about.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks, Beth!

Ken...NOW you have an idea of what I'm talking about !

Harold

5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Al Amoling and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yes, Beth has been a real help for me! If she asked for a check, I would send one!

Hal
    047.jpg

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Are those Frye harness boots? I had some dark brown ones in the late 70's. Wish I still had them.

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

I don't know what brand they are, but they sure look and feel great!

Bought 'em at a Western outfitter's.

Howl

9. Hal Pollner

Registered

HEY BETH:

I know you tried to help, but the instructions for shutting off the Narrator didn't work...he kept on rambling. Even when I clicked on the words Shut Off Narrator" he wouldn't stop!

The only way I could get that S.O.B. to shut up was to shut off my computer and reboot it!

Thanks again, WINDOWS TEN!

Hal

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

There are three ways to turn it off, Hal:

Start or stop Narrator
    Applies to: Windows 10
    There are three ways to turn Narrator on or off:

• In Windows 10, press Windows logo key + Ctrl + Enter on your keyboard. In earlier versions of Windows, you may need to press Windows logo key + Enter.
    • On the sign-in screen, select the Ease of access button in the lower-right corner, and turn on the toggle under Narrator.
    • Go to Settings > Ease of Access > Narrator,and then turn on the toggle under Use Narrator.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Hal Pollner -- Here is how to post a Youtube video on the forum.

Open Youtube to the video you want to share.

COPY the URL (network address) of the video; located here...

url.jpg

(To COPY, just put your mouse on that field and right click; choose copy)

Open the SeniorsOnly post where you want the video, and PASTE that URL. (To PASTE, right click in the post; choose paste.)

Click on Post Reply. Done.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Around a decade ago I encountered issues with the narrator feature on my then future exwife's computer which was stationed at the dining room table at a house we used to own. Being an early adopter I had access to beta software so it had to be running an early version of Microsoft Vista.

The house was a two flat and designed so that if we were sitting in the living room the dining area would not be within visual range. So we'd be watching TV or doing something else in other areas of the abode and on certain occasions suddenly hear voices coming from some distant place inside our home. We were aware that the house was haunted but a bit miffed because vocally was not the usual way our haunting revealed itself. Anyway, for at least six months this intermittent occurrence would come and go without provocation and each time we'd investigate the source these voices would abruptly halt leaving us bewildered.

Eventually we just accepted the fact that for some reason our spirits had decided to converse in private. We were comforted by the idea because otherwise, it just seemed to weird for either of us to be plagued by a shared voice simultaneously within both our heads. She had TBI from an long ago accident which gave her a reason I had no such excuse. Though anything is possible.

This went on for quite some time when one day as I was working near the computer our 8 month old kitten jumped up on the table to survey her domain and suddenly this voice starts to say something behind me. We deduced that it must have been Cassie all along. I immediately silenced the narrator (which was a convoluted process) and to our relief the problem was solved. So we thought!

A few weeks goes by and lo and behold, there it goes again. I go back to the computer and as the cat looked on I repeated the process of shutting the damn thing up. Well, that wouldn't be the last time and each time that darn cat was present to foot the blame.

Eventually we sold the house and decided to have an amicable divorce but to this day we still couldn't figure out how our cute little feline figured out the complex steps to giving voice to that machine. I visit them both from time to time and since we've moved and Julie replaced her laptop things seem to have returned to normal... knock on wood.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019