Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jennifer Graves, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I am always on the look out for different ways I can incorporate a little bit of exercise into everything I do.
    I have gained a lot of weight since I started a new medicine. It doesn't help that I spend most of my time on the computer. I go for a 30 minute walk everyday, just to keep active, even if its not much.
    Something else you need to know about me is that everything I do, from chewing my food to walking across the floor is designed to make as little noise as possible. I don't know why, but I am very careful to not rush and everything is as deliberate as I can possibly be.
    So, to try to incorporate some kind of exercise into my day, I have started to do everything in slow motion. I don't just let my foot fall to the next step. I use my other leg to slowly lower my body weight down. Everything I pick up, I do so slowly.
    But anyway, I just wanted to share.

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Something to consider the idea of exercise to lose weight has been disproven over and over again and just will not die because there is too much money in GYM and exercise equipment.

There is a disease call pica which is normally talked about in animals but the same thing happens to humans called the munches.

When the body becomes deficient in some minerals the urge to eat starts and keeps going until the body gets those minerals. The food industry knows this that is why they say you cannot eat just one.

Drugs work by burning through your mineral supply and causing this problem to be worse. Also gluten intolerance destroys the ability of the body to absorb minerals the old idea of you are what you eat is only right if you absorb it.

Every obese person will tell you how to lose weight and if it were so simple why are they all over weight.

I speak from personal experience and seeing this happening in hundreds of other people. I took a mineral/vitamin supplement and lost 70 lbs and kept it off and eating what I wanted but finding that I had problem eating a lot because my body told me you have enough. A side benefit was to see all my chronic ailments disappear.

All the best to you Jennifer

Yvonne Smith and Jennifer Graves like this.
  3. Jennifer Graves

Registered

Thank you! I really like this tip. I really appreciate it. I have to go to the store this afternoon and I'll pick some up. Believe me, it can't hurt me

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope my husband wouldn't see this thread, hahahaaa. You see, I had bought several gadgets for exercising and they are now in the stock room like museum pieces. There is not much time to spare in the morning since I had to leave early for work in order to avoid the heavy traffic. And in the evening, I am already spent. That's my routine for weekdays. But on weekends, I wake up late to savor my bed so there's not time for exercising. I guess I have to change attitude in order to be back on my healthy routine.

5. Jennifer Graves

Registered

you really should. I've started jogging instead of walking so now I'm really exhausted, all the time!

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was advised against jogging because I began to experience knee pains when I would ride a bike for long or I would be running or jogging. The doctor said that stress and strain on my knees is not good since I am not young anymore. But it is not arthritis that is bothering me, just a painful knee sometimes that I suspect is due to over fatigue.

My walking is for breathing exercises only and at the same time to bond with my husband. We usually walk at night, after dinner to aid the digestion of food.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have had a lot of exercise machines in my life. Living in Maine, it's not like I can go outdoors and do any exercise in the winter other than shoveling snow, and that doesn't seem to beneficial, so I like to have something that I can use indoors. Most of the things that I have bought have been either too flimsy or too much of a bother to get much real use out of. I had an indoor bicycle exercise machine that blew a tire once, and I didn't even know that was possible.

My Gazelle is one that I have had for several years and still works well. It sits in a corner, out of the way, and as long as I can avoid using it as a place to hang things, it's handy. I like to get on it a few times a day in the winter, although I don't use it a lot during the summer months since I generally do some walking in the woods, cutting trees, trimming trees, hauling brush, and the like during the summer months.

You can exercise quite a few parts of the body on a Gazelle, and it's without much in the way of strain. To bring different muscles into play, I can stand on it backwards, lean forward, lean backward, or even place my hands on a different part of the grip bar. Although I can exercise until my muscles get sore, I don't have repetitive stress injuries, such as I might get jogging.

[​IMG]

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Jennifer Graves, I think we all slow down in our movements as we age, but I really don't understand how going slower can improve weight loss. How does it effect weight?

@Ken Anderson, I too have a Gazelle, and as you just mentioned, it allows for all parts of the body to be stretched and strengthened without any harsh impact to ones joints. I only use mine 10 to 15 minutes daily. All I want is to stretch my muscles and to keep exhaustion at bay. If I skip more than a few days, I begin to feel tired, and my legs start to cramp.

@Martin Alonzo, I as well learned that exercise isn't the answer to weight loss. As soon as you stop, the weight comes back. Somewhere in my twenties, My Indain grandmother told me not to listen to, 'all that crap about loosing or gaining weight'. She said it was all very easy, and here was her weight formula.

Take a person's daily weight, and multiply it by 10.
    165lbs. X 10 = 1650
    That is the amount of calories a body needs to MAINTAIN that weight.
    If you eat less than that amount of calories, you will LOOSE weight according to just how much less you eat.
    If you wish to GAIN weight, just eat more calories.

Due to different health issues, I have had to fight to loose or gain weight over and over through my years. In '08 my thyroid blew out, and I went from way to thin to 230 lbs. I had never had to fight so much weight before, and depression from loosing the family business didn't help. Then my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, and I would have to go on insulin. This I refused to do, so I asked the doctor to let me try weight loss instead. Because I was recovering from reconstructive surgery after having diverticulitis, I was in no shape for exercise, so I had to loose weight in another manner. I went on an 800 calorie a day diet, which was about 1/3rd. of what I needed to maintain my 230 pounds. And the weight dropped off. In 4&1/2 months, I lost 70lbs., and I was never hungry.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  9. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

To help stay active I recently started to hulu hoop again. At first it was a hard to get the hoop up and keep it up but I finally got the rythm of the hoop and can keep it up for 20 minutes or longer. The results have been very rewarding, the love handles are slowly going away, I sleep better and it feels good.

10. Jennifer Graves

Registered

everything being slow and deliberate makes me use more muscle. There is nothing like momentum working for you. Its harder, and takes more muscle strength to lift something up slowly. I mean REALLY slowly.

11. Jennifer Graves

Registered

You should definitely listen to your doctor. I know for sure the extra strain I put am putting on my joints is from the weight gain more than anything. I won't lie, though... Its been a while since I exercised and my knees feel like they have quite a bit of rust in them.

12. Jennifer Graves

Registered

That looks like its a lot more fun than jogging!

the comment about only really being able to shovel snow in the winter, I'm like that during the dog days of summer. I mow the yard as often as I can. I haven't been able to this year because my husband has been cutting it with a riding mower. This is why I'm stuck jogging, lol

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Guess you're right to take care of our bodies. I try to do exercises daily too. Now that I'm 61 I feel tired sometimes,but when I exercise I feel better.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

While I was gone on vacation, (16 days), it only took me two days before I started to stiffen up. So this week has been somewhat painful as I stretch everything out again. Right now I am taking Ibubrofin 800 to get through my time on my Gazelle. But it has improved a great deal, and I'm back on schedule.