Small Towns

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, May 28, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive never lived in the south but have lived east and west coast plus Midwest. Wether the city was big or small I never felt unaccepted anywhere.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I meant to say the town grew to be a hundred thousand population.....

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ten years ago, I could have more easily answered that question because I was more actively involved. If you are looking for a statement that says that we should encourage people to move from small towns to large cities, you're not going to find that, largely because the nature of bureaucratese is to state things in such a way that it can mean whatever you want it to mean. The answer is in the details of Agenda 21, and in its implementation.

The Settlement Management section speaks of the ability of well-managed cities being able to provide for people moving from rural areas to the cities. It also speaks of metropolitan regions, which are a creation of Agenda 21 thinking, extending over the boundaries of several political and administrative entities, and how this hinders the implementation of comprehensive environmental management programs.

In the implementation of this, some countries have arbitrarily eliminated smaller towns and cities, assigning them to the jurisdiction of whatever metropolitan center they saw fit. In the United States, this is generally done by making it more difficult for smaller town and city governments to continue, thereby encouraging them to merge with a nearby city. However, we had a governor here in Maine, about ten years ago, who tried very hard to place the majority of Maine's towns under the jurisdiction of eight cities in the state. Millinocket, although there are seventy miles of rural area between us and Bangor, would have been under the jurisdiction of Bangor. We would still be a dot on the map but we would no longer have a town government. He also wanted to close all but three hospitals in the entire state, and if you look at a map, you will see that Maine is not a small state, in terms of land area. He pushed through a law that would mandate school districts to put together consolidation plans. Most of them delayed in this until he was no longer in office and some of those that did consolidate split again after he was out of office.

Agenda 21 calls for the most efficient use of pretty much everything on the planet, which might sound like a sensible thing until you consider that you don't really have a say in any of this. In typical bureaucratese, the document speaks constantly of the importance of having input from everyone involved, but if you have ever been involved in a visioning session (they are called something different from place to place), you will know that your input is only recognized when it coincides with what they plan on doing anyhow. Those who agree with them become stakeholders, while everyone else is out in the cold.

The document speaks much of urban sprawl and, while they may not use the words, the implementation to combat urban sprawl is to pack everyone into compartmentalized communities within the city. Single-family homes are discouraged, and cities are split into several self-contained cities so that people don't feel the need to drive a car anywhere, and so that they don't realize that they are living in a cage.

The implementation of sustainable development is that someone else decides what you can or cannot do, what you can grow and what you cannot grow, which types of livestock you can grow and what you cannot raise, whether or not you can have a pond, and even to the point of whether you are going to be allowed to irrigate your crops or not. Collecting rainwater is banned in many areas now. This and all of the other little details are not clearly spelled out but are left for the regulators to regulate everyone into bankruptcy.

While small family farms are not specifically outlawed by Agenda 21, the regulations make it all but impossible for them to exist, and both the regulators and the regulations favor the large factory farm, where no one is living on the land, as they are trusted to regulate themselves through commissions that they set up.

America 2050, part of Agenda 21 implementation here in the United States, more specifically calls for the creation of Megacities or Megaregions, as artificially created political entities that would further remove the decision-making process from the people who are stuck with the results. This is the American implementation of Urban Future 21, I believe. Given that the United Nations is not particularly popular among people in the United States, Agenda 21 is rarely implemented under that name.

The implementation differs. In some countries, they are able to simply send the military in to forcibly remove people from their farms and small communities, while in other countries it becomes necessary to regulate them out of existence.

Yvonne Smith and Thomas Stearn like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You did say a key word...……"city". Basically, a "city" is different than a "town". Even where we are looking to move to, the locals don't consider it a "small town", but comparing 80,000 people to 931,000, where we currently live, 80,000 is small to us. Have you ever lived in a town like Strasburg, CO, with a population of 2,944 people, one traffic light and a small cafe? We could handle that, but unfortunately, there are basically only houses there. BTW, Strasburg is a "horse, cattle and crop" town on the eastern Colorado Plains. It's even smaller than Parker, CO, which has grown quite a bit since we lived there.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I already told you, the smallest town or city Ive lived in was pop of 4,800 at the time.

I did live in a very small town in my second house in Hungary but I can't remember the population but it was small.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ok, I looked up the population of the small town in Hungary...1,400.

My sister live s in Monument, Colorado..pop less than 7,000...I could live there ...no problem.

Her daughter, my niece lives in Parker, CO.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Millinocket has two streetlights. One of them was flashing yellow for about six months, and people were joking that so many people had left town that we weren't big enough for two streetlights anymore.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I seriously doubt you could. Really. You simply don’t come off as as a “small town lady”. You should see what “small town” people look like in the two magazines we get.....Farm & Ranch and Country. Those folks are “small town” folks. None of the guys are running around with multiple tattoos or baseball caps on backwards.

Those two little cowboys, I put a picture on here of, come from the small town of Elizabeth, Colorado. It’s all a bunch of country folks that live there. If a person doesn’t wear Wrangler jeans, cowboy boots and possibly a cowboy hat, they simply won’t fit in.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Heck, we really don’t fit in here!

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You don't know me at all @Cody Fousnaugh. You seem to think I have tattoos and body piercings..I don't!

Ive lived in many varied locations. Why couldn't I live where my sister lives in CO?

I just told you Ive lived in small towns...and you say I can't???

You seem to have a hangup about wrangler jeans and cowboys hats...think it's more than what someone wears that makes them a cowboy.

Also, not all small towns are western.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You say I don’t know you, but I know you aren’t Western like we are, right? It’s just a fact that some folks can live in some areas, while others simply wouldn’t fit in that well. Could you live in a town where everyone enjoys the local rodeo and helps out at it? You don’t even like rodeo! Do you own a pair of Wrangler jeans, any cowboy boots or even a cowboy hat? We have it all!
    In parts of Colorado, that’s normal dress. I won’t say you couldn’t live in Monument Hill, guess you definitely could, as well as in Parker. They aren’t the real Colorado though. They are more like Denver today.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I said I could live in a small town...

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, if you think so, good. I know we could.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Have had two Quarter horses and was a member of AQHA. Both were roping horses. None now, but does your sister have a powerboat?
    My Roping days are over, but I sure got around horses, cattle and other livestock. Heck, I even worked at a Livestock Yards in Oklahoma and was a Horseback Trail Guide for a Regional Park in Irvine, Calif.

Any other questions?

Frank Sanoica likes this.