Small Towns

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, May 28, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I know many seniors live in snow areas...I know quite a few myself...but they've been there @Cody Fousnaugh

I thought I had you quoted and was replying to that but guess it didn't take.

Also, I really don't care where you move just don't tell me where I will be accepted and not accepted.

You don't know, hopefully not everyone is like you. I don't make waves ..no reason I can't live anywhere peacefully.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh "Just to let you know, the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association in Colorado Springs, has a dress code for all of their rodeos that include a cowboy hat for both men and women, many wear Wrangler jeans and all have boots on."

This sounds pretty dictatorial, to me. A "professional" group dictating what members must look like. Shades of Communism! Will those who refuse to obey by wearing required attire be beheaded?
    Frank

Don Alaska and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that most sports have dress codes as to what the participants are supposed to wear. As an example, swim teams usually have those racer-back 1-piece suits for women, and bycycists would all have those tight stretch pants that they use and also a safety helmet.
    Part of the dress codes would be for the safety of the participant, and also maybe to not give any participant an unfair advantage (or disadvantage).
    With the PRCA, a lot of it is probably just to maintain the historical nature of the sport of rodeo itself; but it is not likely that any of the contestants would show up dressed differently, even if there were no code of what they should wear.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's what it was like flying North Central Airlines from Saint Louis to Menominee, Michigan.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

St. Louis is a nasty landing ...I know that. I always fly there when I visit my son...you'll be starting your descent and the plane kind of sways in another direction. Think it's well known for that.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that normal behaviour..I mean is that usual for people to do that to an out of towner?..if so, how unwelcoming!! *jeez*

Thank god we don't have to register our car plates in the county where we live in this country if that's the sort of welcome we'd get when visiting a different part of the country

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I just went looking around Elizabeth Colorado, by the magic that is Google Street view. I went for miles all around many road, even visited the Safeway supermarket car park ...and guess what?..not only didn't I find any children dressed in cowboy outfits, I didn't see any adults dressed in it either. I saw plenty cars, Vans, trucks and SUV's... I saw many farms and farmland, and in my whole trip of many miles up and down many roads long and short, covering a wide area I eventually got to see horses...yep...2 horses in a field just off the highway.. 2!!!. WE have more horses here in my tiny village than I saw in Elizabeth Colorado and thankfully not a cowboy outfit to be seen...

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Holly, Californians have the reputation of fleeing California, moving to another location, then trying to turn the new location into the California that they fled because they didn't like the environment or whatever. We are undergoing that conversion at the moment, at least Anchorage is. Folks moved up here from San Francisco and Seattle, mostly to flee taxes, I guess, and they are now trying to bring the problems they fled up here. That is why California plates are not always welcome. New Hampshire plates would not be viewed that way.

9. Ken Anderson

That's the way we feel about people from Massachusetts, who are referred to as "Massholes." You might also hear "Damned Canadians" used a lot too, but the real enmity is for the "Massholes."

Chrissy Cross and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I am not a Western person. I grew up in the Midwest, and the only Western place that I have lived in was Southern California, and I don't remember that people dressed in any particular way. Other than the twelve years that I lived in California, six months in Brownsville, Texas, and a year and a half in Fayetteville, North Carolina, I have always lived in small towns.

When I was in my teens and, to a smaller extent perhaps, when I was in my early twenties, I cared about what I wore, since image was important to me then. Unless I'm living out in the woods, my clothes are clean but I don't give a thought to dressing so as to fit in. I don't dress like a homeless person when I go to church, but neither do I compete for a best-dressed prize.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what people would wear in Millinocket, Maine in order to fit in because I don't think we have a costume or anything. We're in the Northeast, so there aren't a lot of cowboy hats but people do wear them from time to time, and I don't think anyone stares. There are just better things you can put on your head when its 10 below zero and you're shoveling snow.

We did make fun of Ken Salazar, Obama's Secretary of the Interior, when he came to Millinocket in full cowboy garb but that was mostly because we didn't like what he came here to do, and it seemed that he had intentionally dressed so as to fit in, but without realizing that he was in the Northeast, not the Northwest.

Probably, there are more people wearing plaid in Northern Maine than I would see in New York City, but people have their own way of dressing weird in NYC and I don't really want to fit in with that. However, I don't think people wear plaid here as a fashion statement; rather, it's just that the warmer shirts that they carry at the tractor store are often in plaid. In Washington DC, nearly everyone dresses up, but I am not about to walk around in that kind of heat wearing a suit and tie.

Other than not wearing a tee-shirt and short pants to church, I don't dress to fit in. I don't even think about what people are wearing enough to be able to do that if I wanted to. I wear what's comfortable, practical, and affordable, and the only time that people stare is when I am shoveling snow in short pants, a tee-shirt, and flip-flops.

For the most part, if people in different parts of the country dress in a particular way, it's probably because that's a sensible way to dress in that climate or in whatever it is that they might do for a living there. Cowboys dressed the way they dressed because that was a practical thing to wear for the job that they were doing, and where they were doing it.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

What people wear today is very flexible ..there really is no normal. Ive seen girls wearing ugg boots and shorts here when it's hot...nobody looks.

I wear whatever I'm comfortable in..that's what's become important to me in my senior years.

Even ones that do follow fashion and trends, I can't really pin point one style as being "in".

It just doesn't matter as much as it did long ago..At least that's how I see it.

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Hahahaha...massholes! Never heard that but it's hilarious.

Ive heard of yoopers and cheese heads though. :)

California is the land of fruits and nuts, lol....it's actually true in Fresno...we have mostly fruit and nut trees.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    Well.......risking questioning retort: I'm most comfortable in my skin......

Frank

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Haha....does it still fit?? :)

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    Ha! Yes, and I've learned I must take better care of it the last few years, as by arms seem to bruise very easily as I blunder about under the hood of some heap, working in the confounded cramped quarters of today's cars.
    Frank