Smart Phone Questions

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I may want to get a Smart Phone, then again, I may not.

For 18 years I've kept a small TRACFONE in my cars, where it has remained to this day, always charged up.

I bought it just to report emergencies or breakdowns on the highways. I don't even know its number!

I pay $20 for 3 months of service, which I roll over as "unused minutes" whenever I buy an Airtime Card.

I get 60 minutes of talk time per airtime card, and for 18 years I have never used a single minute!

That's 4,320 talk minutes I've never used.

If I get a smart phone, it doesn't need Internet Access, only enough memory for 300 photos and a few short Videos, and enough storage for up to 6 phone numbers, so how much would it cost for regular, non-Internet service?

The more I consider it, the more I feel that I don't need a Smart Phone.

If you consider this post a waste and not worth a response, then I respect your thoughts!:D

Hal

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is possible that you do not need to keep the contract on your old cell phone, @Hal Pollner . I read that even if you do not have a contract, you can still make an emergency call to 911, as long as the battery is charged up, and you are somewhere that has cell service.

61DA0570-E4CB-416F-B393-FF6382886A1C.jpeg

Von Jones and Shirley Martin like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hal--the "internet access" is known as "data" on a phone plan. I'm not sure why you'd want a smart phone at all if you don't have a data plan; what would be the point?

The cost for service shouldn't be any different no matter which model your phone is; you are paying for the service. You will have to shell out a significant amount to buy the phone itself, however.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks for the comeback, Beth.

Thinking about a cell phone is no different than other items I bought and then forgot!

I have a generous hobby budget, and up until a few years ago, when I was deeply into Astronomy, I spent thousands on each of several telescopes, one for over $4000 and the big 20" Reflector cost me $7300 with the large finder scope! During the 55 years when I was really into the hobby, I spent close to $30,000 on Telescopes, Eyepieces, Filters, Sky Charts, etc.

Two years ago I paid $1100 for a Computerized Maksutov Refractor, which had a 4000-object database and could locate and track any object in the heavens. I never once took it outside to look through! I recently donated it to HiDAS (High Desert Astronomical Society), the club I belonged to before I lost interest in Astronomy.

Now I'm thinking of a Microscope, so I'll probably order one, use it for a few days, and then store it in my scientific storage cabinet!

This is how it's been since I retired, Beth...lots of time and plenty of money to spend on items that come to me in a whim, then peter out once I have 'em!

I have your excellent instructions on transferring videos from YouTube to the Senior Forum, which were successful without having to resort to any silly URL! I have it on Photo Paper, trimmed to the size of a 3x5 card for convenience.

Thanks for all your help, and I include Al, Bess, Yvonne, Bobby, and others!
    Hal

Hal

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2020
    Bess Barber and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

If you don't need a smart phone for online interaction, then you would probably just wast your money buying one........
    and waste your energy trying to figure out how to use it.

If this is a vote...........................It's a NO from me. :D

Hal Pollner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Registered

Bess...I've always agreed with your viewpoints on just about everything except the most efficient method for extracting bomb-grade U-235 from non-fissionable Uranium-238. (I prefer the Electromagnetic Method over the Gaseous-Diffusion Method)

But you've clinched it... I'm not getting a Smart Phone! :D

Hal

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner

The "connection" here between abstract nuclear decisions and technically-current use of "smart phones", eludes me.......Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

There is none! Hal's just joking

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Al is correct!

Hal