Smoke On The Mountain

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a cabin high up in the high country in Colorado. It's a hunting cabin. I'm particular who I invite to the cabin, particular who I hunt with. It's not an easy place to get to. When you go up as far as your four wheel will take you, it a half mile hike from that point.

I toke some supplies up the other day. All I could do to carry them on up. But I didn't go too far. I couldn't see the cabin but I saw smoke rising. It wasn't enough smoke for the cabin to be on fire so figured it must be the fireplace. I dropped my load, picked up my rifle and started up to see what was going on.

Sure enough smoke was rising from my chimney. There is good cover all the way up to the house and if you are careful no one would see you approaching even if they were outside. I was careful. I topped a little and dialed the ranger station. Sometime I can get them and sometimes I can't, generally depending on the weather. Today I was lucky, the ranger answered. I identified my self; they knew me and the location of my cabin well. I told them i was bringing supplies up to the cabin but somebody was occupying the place and I asked if anything was going on I needed to know about.

You use caution, Red. There's been a prison break a few days ago and it could be some of those guys. I'd come up and join you but i'm the only one here to man the place and be the fire lookout. Can I call anyone or you? I suggested he call the sheriff 's office and let him know what's going on.

Then I asked, are these guys armed? How many escaped? The ranger said he didn't know for sure but they had overpowered two guards and had taken their weapons. Don't know if they have more. But I'll call the sheriff as soon as we hang up. I said, 'get to it'.

I wanted to get close enough I could throw a rock and hit the cabin. I slung my rifle and started walking, looking for something to throw. Now it's hard to see this cabin unless you know where it is. It is butted up against a small hill. Unless somebody knew this place existed I don't see any need for anyone to be prowling around here. I've owned almost a section of land here for many years. A lot of people know me. I built a good portion of Colorado Springs.

I could wait on the Sheriff's deputy but they might be too busy to come to a prowler call. I found a fallen tree and broke off a small dead limb. I could throw it like a spear if I could get close enough. The wind had picked up and it was getting colder. I worked my way up to a point I might lob my limb on to the porch. I still had good cover to hide. I walked up a few feet closer to the cabin. I reared back and threw my spear.It didn't land on the porch. The wind caught it and it slammed against the side of the cabin. I could hear strike from where i was at. I ducked down in the brush, rifle across my kneed. Someone peered out. I couldn't tell who.

The door slammed shut. Well so much for the trick. The an idea doit me. I'd slip around behind the back of the cabin, climb the little hill, and drop something down on the chimney. That should smoke them out after a bit.

I stared working my way around.. I climbed the hill. Beautiful. I dropped my jacked down on the chimney. There goes a good jacket I thought. My phone buzzed and vibrated. It was the ranger. Sheriff said to tell you he had two deputies on the way. It fact they already started up from where you parked your truck.

Good. I felt a little bit of relief. From my advantage point I looked back down the mountain to see if I could see any movement, any evidence the sheriff's mens were guttering closer. Finally I spotted one of them. They were hustling. I also head noise from inside the cabin. The sheriff's men

broke out in the clear. I waved to them and motioned to the chimney. They assumed the kneeling position, rifles at the ready.

Suddenly the door flung open and seven boys ran out of the cabin. I yelled,

"Hold it right there, put your hands behind your heads. Who are you and what are you doing in this cabin?"

Thanking of course escapees might be holding these boys captive and not come out yet. Not so. By then the Sheriff's deputies had come up to the cabin. I reached down and grabbed my jacket and put it on, shivering a little bit. It seems what we had here was part of a boy scout troop who had become lost and ventured upon the cabin and made good use of it.

I got a hold of the ranger's station and told him all was well here. Anyone looking for a boy scout troop I asked. Oh, yeah, he said, I forgot to tell you. People looking all over. I told him he could advise we had found seven boys.

That's the seven missing, he said.

The deputies took the boys and would return them to the proper authorities to be united with the rest of their troop. With everybody gone I still had to carry up my supplies and clean the cabin. Well, it could have been worse. By the time I carried all my supplies up and and everything shipshape here on the mountain the temperature had dropped and a light snow was falling. I hiked back down the hill to my truck nd headed home. I started thinking about the whole afternoon. How did them boys get my cabin door unlocked. How in the sam hill did they get in. I'll have to check the windows and check that lock next time I go up. For now, a warm fire and a hot meal sounded good and i smelled like smoke.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

You have a talent for fiction writing Bill... you should write more...

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Excellent!

4. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Breaking News

7 boy scouts & their families suing cabin owner for lung problems related to smoke inhalation.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That's another story.

Shirley Martin likes this.