Smoking Areas

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember when we had a smoking area at our High school. My teachers would stand outside and smoke, but they were allowed to smoke inside the building as well, while the kids were only allowed to use the designated area outside. It's so hard to believe now! I remember too, going to a little barber shop right down the road from our house to buy cigarettes for my mom. Nobody really batted an eye back then. I think that's because it was understood that parents, not the state, had jurisdiction over their children.

2. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

I for one do NOT support the ban.

I'm tired of the government telling me what I can and cannot do to my own body. Second-hand smoke? Psh - open a window.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. I wouldn't encourage anyone to smoke, but I think they've gone too far with it and their priorities are messed up.

Example: there was a really nice grocery store not far from my high school, many of us went there at lunchtime to get sandwiches, etc. As a high school senior, I had no trouble buying cigarettes- I was legally old enough, but never asked for i.d. or anything.
    Considering my child's age, it must have been 18 years later when I happened to be in that area and went to the same store- my youngest child was a Kindergartner, and was with me. I asked for a pack of cigarettes, and when the clerk said she needed to see i.d., I gasped "You've gotta be kidding!!!" And she was not kidding, either.

And those kinds of experiences continued until just a couple of years ago.

Sifu Phil Bonifonte likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can understand that some businesses would want to regulate smoking, especially when it is a place that is family oriented. However, I do not think that our federal government has any business telling people what we can eat, drink, or whether we can smoke or not.
    I remember when my kids were little, and when we went to a restaurant (their dad smoked) all restaurants allowed smoking, and most of them had an ashtray at every table or booth. Some later began to have smoking or non-smoking areas; but still it was pretty much up to each restaurant to decide what they wanted to do.

I think that probably all of the taverns allowed smoking; because it was an all-adult environment.
    Almost all of the cigarette brands had advertisements on television and billboards, and even moderators of shows would smoke.
    Rod Serling is a great example of that. I do not remember him ever annoucing what the Twilight Zone program that night was going to be about except with a cigarette in his fingers.

One of the strangest things that they are doing now is not allowing even the e-cigarettes, which do not even put out any real smoke. As far as I can see, they can't be harmful to anyone except possibly the person that is smoking them, and I see no reason why they should be banned anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Sifu Phil Bonifonte likes this.
  5. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

And, I'm on the other side of that argument. I smoked heavily for 20 years. Quit cold-turkey in 1985. Now despise second hand smoke. Why should my dining experiences, shopping experiences, etc. be compromised by those who have no regard for another person's health and welfare. Too many studies out there that do show the physical effects of second hand smoke.
    Those who contend there should be no regulation of smoking in public suggest we who would rather not inhale it should just stay at home. Should I then be allowed to dine in public while squeezing a atomizer releasing H2S gasses, etc.? If you are allowed to contaminate my breathing air with cigarette smoke, why can't I permeate yours with sewer gasses? If you don't like it, stay home.
    As far as the "Federal Government' establishing regulations, I don't believe they do. State and local elected officials establish the regulations for smoking areas, minimum age for purchasing tobacco products, etc. The Feds have set regulations re advertising of tobacco products and for warning labels on those products. Some states are currently reviewing their minimum age restrictions and are considering raising them.

The establishment of restrictions on public smoking may offend a few. OTOH, those restrictions allow many more to enjoy a smoke free environment in which to perform our day to day activities.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. I'm partially but not entirely with you on this.
    I consider not lighting up around non-smokers to be basic courtesy- did not smoke in restaurants even when it was legal, not even at my own dinnertable, etc.
    However, when it goes as far as to say you can't smoke outside/outdoors, that's too much.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

They are only that - studies. Have they been accepted by their peers as truthful? I've read a LOT of "studies" that have more slants than a miter saw. Look behind the studies - who is funding them?

As far as compromising your enjoyment - I agree, but what about the fact that YOU are compromising THEIRS?

I know - do whatever you want as long as it doesn't harm others. I can understand that. But the wholesale legislation against smoking in places like bars - you have to admit that's a bit strange, and that very legislature has caused the closure / bankruptcy of many taverns.

Oh, now you're just being facetious. :rolleyes:

Well, I for one never said "Federal" - just "government". That word alone carries a multitude of sins, whether State, local or what-have-you. It's still a violation of basic rights - the right to do what you wish with your own body. No, I'm not against regulating smokers in restaurants, etc. but there has to be some common sense involved in these dictates.

So the majority rules, even when it goes against the vision of our founding fathers? Remember, we don't live in a Democracy - we live in a Democratic Republic.

8. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember when smoking was allowed on city buses, airplanes, in stores, hospitals, even doctor’s offices. But not in high school. In fact students got expelled for it.

I worked in the office of a large manufacturing corporation in the early 70s. At the time they had one female engineer, and she smoked (as did most of the men). I remember some of the secretaries were ticked off because she didn’t go huddle in the ladies room to smoke like they did.

9. Well, I don't know about city buses, but Greyhound buses and all the other places you mentioned, yes. The exception to Greyhound back then was while traveling through Utah.

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I pity the smokers now because they seem to be discriminated. Most buildings in the business district of Metro Manila have banned smoking, not only inside the building but also in the compound and even in the parking areas. Some of the smokers I know would get inside their car to smoke. And it's very untidy since the odor of the cigarette would cling to the interior of the car. That's how pathetic smokers are now. Even in restaurants, only the classy ones have smoking areas. Some restaurants with al fresco do not allow smoking.

My husband is very fortunate to have quit smoking (in 2007). I remember when we went to Hongkong in 1994, he was kind of disoriented because he didn't know that smoking is banned in the airport... and also in the plane. He had a hard time controlling his urge to smoke. Tsk, tsk, what a problem.

11. Arlene Richards

Registered

When I smoked I used to try hard to be considerate. What I didn’t like was asking “Do you mind if I smoke?” and people would say “Oh, no problem. Go ahead.” Then they’d wave their arms, cough, blink.

Clearly the smoke bothered them but I wish they’d just said “I’d rather you didn’t. It bothers me.” I can also understand them not wanting the odor in their home or even on their property/patio. So I got to where I didn’t take cigarettes anywhere with me.

12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

When I first moved here, we could smoke in our apartments. Then, that changed to the outdoors. Some people complained they had to walk through smoke to get in the front door, so smokers were sent out back to the alley.
    I'll bet some of the same kind of people are the ones complaining about the "air quality" in my town, due to some manufacturers. There was an article in our newspaper about my town's terrible "air quality". I wrote a response saying simply, "That's what jobs smell like". The unemployment rate is usually low in my county, due to the diversity of products made.

Joe Riley and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  13. Arlene Richards

Registered

What made me quit was the hassle and expense. I was tired of always making sure I had enough cigarettes to last me, and of course it’s expensive. I also was tired of the smell and frankly it dangerous from a medical standpoint and fire hazard standpoint. Wished I’d never started, but back in the day it was the thing to do.

Bonnie Thomas and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The hassle and my health is what finally made me quit. Yes, they were expensive but I would rather do without something just to make sure I had cigarette money. I always told myself how much money Id save not smoking but that just wasn't enough to make me quit.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember a point in my 20's, after my third child/daughter was born that I decided that I needed to get my body back to pre-kids. ..... My solution - smoke! I took up smoking, which I had never done before.
    Every time I was hungry, I would grab a cigarette.
    I did lose the weight, but geez what a knuckle-head way to do it.
    I quit smoking after that, and never touched another one.

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.