Snowing All Over The South Today!

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith Have y'all had those kinds of temps before where y'all live?

This is definitely something Lafayette is not used to and I'm hoping it will pass through fast so we don't experience "A World Without Electricity" here in Lafayette. :)

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

We are in for some more snow, too. They are predicting any where from 2 to 6 inches tomorrow . But, hopefully, none of those extremely cold temperatures we saw last time. It officially got down to 0º at RDU. My thermometer registered 2º. It never got above freezing for days on end. With the wind howling, my heat pump was running steadily. My electric bill was $373. 26, up from $167.17 last month. How many days 'til spring?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It was seven degrees here this morning with windchill of minus ten. No moisture. Reports were that SanAntonio got seven tenths inch snow and a very hard freeze, 23' I think they said. Won't be quite as cold tonight.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_0700-001.JPG IMG_0694-001.JPG IMG_0695-002.JPG IMG_0703-001.JPG
    It's not light enough to take snow pictures yet but we broke a record with our 18 degrees this morning. :)

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    Russia has minus 88 degrees

Attached Files:

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no plans to go to Russia but I can't even imagine that kind of temperature.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

To me this is "snow ice" that we have gotten this time around. The last snow we had was not as icy or as dangerous.
    IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0714.JPG

For those who are used to this kind of stuff it is nothing to get excited about. But we don't get this so it is very interesting to all of us. :)

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't imagine an electric bill like that Shirley...but I'm not looking forward to getting our next one either. :(

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They deserve it for hacking our election.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had a bit of a shock yesterday when MSN on my computer announced a heat wave in the south. REALLY? We're in the south, the real south and no such thing here! Matter of fact, it's about 7 degrees here and I do not think it is supposed to get above freezing today.

After perusing the article, it was all about south California. Since when is southern California considered the south? After thinking about it I had to come to terms with the fact that Bill Gates lives in Seattle so southern California might be south to him but not THE south!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

After reading your reply here, Bobby, I had to laugh about the California/South remark. Wife and I spent many years in Southern California, before we met and married. She went there with her young son, from Lincoln Park, Michigan, to be close to family who had moved there to escape winter. I decided to stay after getting my Discharge from the Navy in San Diego.

Southern California is definitely not the South, but it is the southern part of the State. We live in the South and I can definitely tell the difference between "the South" and Southern California. However, we would never move back to Southern California. We love Colorado and Wyoming to much to do that, even with their winters.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's snowing here now. I know some people don't like it but, to me, it's almost magical. I just went outside and looked at it. The snow is drifting lazily down. Everything is silent except for an occasional bird call. If I could set it to the sound of symphony music, I would.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I wouldn't want snow everyday...I do think it's beautiful and special when it's not an everyday happening.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Boudreau the Snowman. :)
    26733696_2060863074133739_299256485200763268_n.jpg

Shirley Martin and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The saddest part of this icy snow we experienced this time around is that a young mother in Metarie, LA was going to drop her 8 month old off at the babysitter's so she could go into work and her car slid on the ice on a bridge and flipped into the canal. Her eight month old son died and the mom is in critical condition. :(

Bobby Cole likes this.