So You Think You Got Problems?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Shirley Martin, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My sister's granddaughter was born deaf and mute because her mother had measles when she was pregnant with her. She attended a school for the deaf and learned sign language. She was able to communicate with people who could "Speak" sign language. I'm sure life hasn't been easy for her but I have never seen her show self pity. She is quick to smile and quick to love and hug. She has diabetes. She "Told" me at our family reunion yesterday that she is going blind. She is already blind in her right eye and only has blurred vision in her left eye. She will soon be blind in that one. She will spend the rest of her existence in total darkness, unable to see, speak or talk. Unable to tell anyone if she is hungry or has to potty. Unable to tell anyone if she hurts or where it hurts. She will be able to communicate only by touching signs into another person's hand as did Helen Keller.

And you think you have problems????????

Walk outside right now and look around. Look at the sunshine on the trees. Hear the breeze blowing though the leaves. If it's raining, look at the rain splattering on the ground. Hear the pitter patter as it hits. If it's nighttime, look up at the stars and listen to the sounds of the night. Listen to the sound of a child laughing. Shout out loud and hear the sound of your voice. You and I, my friends, are blessed.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, we are!

Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm so sorry to hear this Shirley... but I have a lot of experience with some of it. My family (mainly the males on my paternal side ) were all born deaf mutes who went onto marry profoundly deaf spouses ..my father was the only one to escape with his hearing intact but with only one eardrum.

My sister was born deaf in one ear also...

Since the vast majority of my paternal relatives were born deaf mute, I learned to sign before I could talk.....None of them were blind, and it was something they all dreaded the thought of...

I can't help but feel absolute pity for your great niece.. even though I know that unlike Helen keller there is so much more technology out there today to help her...and the fact that she has had some sight will help her remember how things worked and how they looked before she lost her sight..that's one tiny blessing... but to lose sight as well as hearing to us would be like living in a Black hole... and it's something that is incomprehensible to all of us as human beings...but like I said, technology will help her today with Braille imprinted on everything...but sadly she will probably always need a carer.

how old is she Shirley, she sounds like an absolutely super brave girl...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The above statement is something I absolutely agree with even though the world is a darker place today
    I live by the statement and do me best to rise above dire situations, and as long as we appreciate the beauty around us
    I think we do an OK job - sadly there are those that favour destruction
    The girl you mention is an angel and an example of light in the darkness - so many good wishes to her

Mike Dobra and Shirley Martin like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What a terrible thing for your sister’s granddaughter to have happen, Shirley ! You would think that they could find something to stop her from going completely blind , with all of the technology that we have nowdays. There is a diabetes epidemic in almost every country that is considered “advanced”., and most people with diabetes do not go blind.
    Is she a T1 diabetic and has had the diabetes all of her life ? Saying prayers for her, and that the doctors will find something that can stop the progress of the blindness.
    My old dog, Chipper , is pretty much blind and deaf, although he can still hear some; but I do not think that he can see much, at least not enough to keep him from running into things. We mostly carry him around, and the rest of the time he just lays on his pillow and sleeps; but I have been thinking what it must be like to be in a world that has no communication or sight. I try to pet him more often, because that is about the only thing that he has left, and it seems like he looks forward to that so much now.

Shirley Martin and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, everyone does take so many things "for granted".

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin we all have a tendency to take things for granted- even if we think we do not.
    Sometimes I have to do a reality check and remind myself how good my life really is. There are so many others who have real life obstacles to over come, and they always seem to be the really strong ones.
    So I slap meself upside of the head when I begin to worry about bills, or the fact there are things we need to do and can not because lack of funds.
    My mom was a pessimist... I would tell her...mom...its not like having to wait on a heart transplant...this is just another minor inconvenience.
    Bless your grand daughter and her strong and still optimistic out look.:)

8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin Your sisters GD has certainly had more then her share of illness ,I don’t think other people realise the devastating side effects of diabetes unless you have been personally touched by it .

In Adelaide we have a huge reasearch Centre ,that has had some very good outcomes ,from trials into type 1 diabetes. I believe they using the patients own stem cells that are removed and then latter injected into the pancreas .
    We have a $ 2 million house and land lottery twice a year, that funds allot of the research I make a point of buying at least one $100. Ticket even if I have to stretch the budget to afford it ,as they do such valuable reasearch ..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Holly Saunders , she is about twenty, maybe twenty one years old. @Yvonne Smith , She was born with diabetes so I guess it's type 1. She is such a tiny little thing, it's hard for me to think of her as an adult. She is less than five feet tall and weigh less that a hundred pounds.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:(

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Does she know Braille @Shirley Martin? As this would be a way she can still communicate with others and they would still be able to communicate with her too.

I've read and heard it said that when we lose some of our senses...the senses we have left become more heightened, etc.

I'm praying for a miracle for your sister's granddaughter that she would not lose her sight but even if she does I know our heavenly Father still has plans for a good future for this young woman.
    f652efb7b2c90573b11ed09811b96827.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  12. Shirley Martin

Registered

Are you saying that God let her become deaf, mute and blind for purposes of his own?