Social Security: ‘ Win - Win’ Bill

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This just in, from the "I'll believe it when I see it" Department...

"A proposed Congressional bill aims to relieve the tax burden on Social Security beneficiaries while also bolstering a key trust fund’s finances so it remains fully funded for a longer period of time. One lawmaker referred to the bill as a “win-win,” though it likely faces an uphill battle making it into law.

The bill, dubbed the “You Earned, You Keep It Act,” was reintroduced last week by U.S. Reps. Angie Craig (D-Minn.) and Yadira Caraveo (D-Colo). It proposes to repeal federal taxes on Social Security benefits and delay the looming insolvency of the program’s Old Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund by two decades to 2054, Think Advisor reported.

More details here... https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/social-security-win-win-bill-123006868.html

John Nopales and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Election Year b.s.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we should all join the Gray Panthers and push for tax-free social security. Paying income taxes on SS is a dung pile and I don't know how "we" let that happen. (Except we weren't seniors back then and didn't care, lol.) Seniors are quite the voting block if we could ever get organized. :D

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't read it yet, but my crazy woman mentioned something about raising eligibility ages up another large notch.

No big deal for the truly decrepit, but some of us neocodgers have yet to collect on ours.