Some Amazing Benefits Of Taking Coconut Oil Every Day

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I posted in another thread about making my Bulletproof coffee, and how I am making it with coconut oil instead of adding butter, which is what the original bulletbroof coffee is made with.
    Since I started having that drink first thing in the morning, I have enjoyed clearer thinking, and a lot more energy. It seems to also raise my "happiness level"; so I think it also affects moods as well as helping to heal the body. (It raises other levels, too; but that is not going to be discussed in this post...)
    I make mine with extra protein powder, too. I take a spoonful of coconut oil and add that to the blender cup, and then add a couple spoonfuls of protein powder (either chocolate or vanilla works fine), and then I fill the cup about half full of fresh, hot coffee, and stir to dissolve the coconut oil.
    Once the coconut oil is liquid, I add a bit of cream, which cools the coffee down enough to mix it in the blender. I blend until it is all mixed and frothy, and then pour this into my coffee cup and add coffee to fill the cup. The concoction tastes like the creamiest latte that you have ever had in your life !
    It is delicious !

Well, today I have been reading to see what other benefits the coconut oil has besides raising metabolism and increasing energy, and there are actually a lot more benefits to using coconut oil that I hadn't read about before.
    This website has a good list of them, and is easy to read; so I am including a link below for anyone else who might be interested in learning more about coconut oil.

https://draxe.com/coconut-oil-benefits/

2. Yvonne Smith

This is a fairly long program with Bruce Fife, who is well-known in the coconut oil world. He goes in depth about how coconut oil can affect our brain function for the better, and what causes Alzheimer's in the first place. He also talks about how coconut oil can help with other inflammation in our bodies, If you have the interest to listen, there is some exceptional information in this presentation.

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting @Yvonne Smith I will look into that thanks, I know magnesium affects brain function and enhances good moods, if I add in coconut oil I should end up on a high and float off .......;)
    Actually coconut products feature highly in the diet here in India...

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - just checked the protein powder - can I just put a spoonful in coffee ?

5. Yvonne Smith

You can add protein powder to your coffee, @Patsy Faye , but you would still probably want to add some cream/creamer and blend it or you would have protein lumps. Are you just thinking about adding only protein to your coffee and not the coconut oil ?
    Using the blender is essential in any case.
    The regular recipe for bulletproof coffee does not use protein powder; but since I am usually headed for the fitness center to exercise after I have the BPC for breakfast, I always add some protein powder for extra energy while swimming and exercising.
    Adding it to my coffee instead of making a protein drink puts it all together in one cup , and I like the extra flavor of the chocolate or vanilla protein powder in my BPC.

You are incredibly fortunate to be there where you can get really FRESH coconuts, @Terry Page ! Some of the ones we find here at the store are so dry they are not worth buying, unless you go to the higher-priced stores, and then you can get a better quality of coconut. I buy the cold-processed virgin coconut oil to use for my BPC, and regular coconut oil for cooking; but I also buy fresh coconuts to use when I find good heavy ones at the store.
    When I made the low-carb cheesecake, I used a can of coconut milk, which was delicously rich and creamy.

Terry Page and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just haven't the room not patience for blenders :p
    Quick and simple - that's me :rolleyes:
    I may try it though, lumps an all ..............:D

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye , doesn't protein powder mix with hot coffee? Can you maybe mix a little in hot water, then add it to your coffee? I'm pretty sure whey protein mixes.

I don't do protein powders so don't really know. I try to get enough protein in my food and usually do...if there are days I don't it's not enough for me to worry about it.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

If all you want is to add protein, Patsy, then maybe just getting protein drinks would work better for you ? I was getting the little containers by the case at Sam's club, and then taking one along to the fitness center with me. I drank part before I exercised and part afterward. They come in different flavors, depending on what brand you buy; so you can have a variety. You can either drink these cold or add to your coffee, and would not need a blender since the protein powder is already mixed.
    One of those little "stick blenders" would also work, Patsy, and they do not take up much extra room. I have even seen little battery powered ones that are specifically for mixing stuff into your coffee.
    The coconut oil is still the most healing part of the whole thing, and I think that you would find it worth the extra time it takes to make the coffee with some kind of a blender.
    It looks like the little milk frothers start at under $2 on Amazon; so they are cheap and easy to use and would do the trick nicely. The immersion blenders cost more, but will blend more things, like fruit, into a smoothie. The orange one is the immersion blender, and you can see that it is more powerful; but not necessary for just blending and frothing coffee.
    IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0201.JPG

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh yes I remember those stick whirlers - good idea !
    @Yvonne Smith

@Chrissy Cross - not sure I do get enough protein, so thought I'd give the powder a try - honestly me cupboards
    are like a pharmacy - no wonder I've little room :p

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross - not sure I do get enough protein, so thought I'd give the powder a try - honestly me cupboards
    are like a pharmacy - no wonder I've little room :p
    [/QUOTE]

Hope you figure it out @Patsy, getting enough protein is important! I've noticed in the past few days I'm in a very good mood, caught myself singing out loud a few times and that's something I don't usually do because I don't even like listening to myself but the point is I'm feeling GOOD. I haven't changed anything either so maybe it's just that things aren't going wrong like they were in the summer....it's smooth sailing and I guess that makes me happy.

Yvonne Smith and Patsy Faye like this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chrissy Cross - FAB !
    Love this bit above ..........................:p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

I am still taking the coconut oil every day, and more of it now, since it seems to be helping me so much. For losing weight, it can really boost your metabolism up, about 68% when you are overweight, and for right-weight people, it boosts your metabolism and give you more energy, and clearer thinking.
    However, coconut oil has been used to help diabetics, Parkinson's, stroke patients, multiple sclerosis, and other neurological diseases, including Alzheimer's , and also for cancer and seizures.
    This talk by Bruce Fife goes into all of these aspects, and explains how coconut oil has helped people with all of the above illnesses.

Terry Page and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

So pleased its helped you Yvonne, I believe in the benefits
    but like with everything, don't over use it :)

@Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the tips on coconut oil @Yvonne Smith I ordered a bottle from Amazon yesterday, so will give it a try,................... together with my increased energy from magnesium oil, the clearer thinking should enable me to conquer the world .....................or at least my garden..... [​IMG]

15. Yvonne Smith

Bruce Fife is considered the leading expert on the many benefits of coconut oil, and he has written several books about how to use it and what it can do to benefit different conditions. The main one is called "Coconut Oil Miracle" which is basically an overall book that covers everything, but he also has one for people who need to treat seizures of Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, or Parkinson's disease.
    I just got the one called "Coconut Ketogenic Diet" which is specifically designed for people who need/want to lose weight, and I am in the process of reading that.
    We usually get our coconut oil jars from Amazon, too, Terry,because they have the 54 oz size for not much more money than the small containers cost at the grocery store, and I think that they are fresher and better quality.

Terry Page likes this.