Something About Schmidt

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Faye Fox, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I just finished watching this movie. Since I like Jack Nickleson in most of his movies, with Five Easy Pieces being his worst, and I like Kathy Bates, I paid the extra Amazon Prime requested. While better than Five Easy Pieces, I almost hit stop and exit but my curiosity kept me watching since Kathy hadn't appeared yet. Kathy finally appeared and livened things up, especially with a shocking brief topless scene while getting in the hot tub with Jack. Jack of course was taken back and I encouraged Kathy with, "you go girl." It was shocking how gravity had taken its toll on her boobs. Reminded me of myself, but four or more times magnified in Kathy's case. I was disappointed in Jack suddenly being tired and excusing himself for the night.

The show was at 2 stars until Kathy appeared and while I struggle with my decision, I think I will go 3 stars. Jack played his part well, but his part was mostly a big yawn in my opinion. Great acting but a poor storyline.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen that movie, but it's been a while ago. I LOVE Kathy Bates and believe she is a most underrated actress. Also she is now a double-mastectomy breast cancer survivor (so the saggy boobs are now a non-issue) who has lymphedema, and is a spokesperson for the Lymphedema Education & Research Network.

One of my all-time favorite movie scenes...

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Kathy is the best. Green Fried Tomatoes is one of my favorites and yes that scene is one I am tempted to reenact every time I go grocery shopping. Now age 73 she is an inspiration surviving ovarian cancer surgery then chemo at 55 then 9 years later breast cancer and now the horrors of lymphedema. If I remember right she had chemo after the ovarian cancer surgery, but no chemo after the double mastectomy. I will have to go read her story again. I know the doctors that advocate genetic testing for cancer, site Kathy's story since her mother and niece also had breast cancer.

I am thinking of watching her in Titanic and The Highwaymen again. Misery was a great show and Dolores Claiborne was another good one. I wish there were more Bates and Nickleson movies. I like Jack but he needs Kathy to keep him focused hahaha!

Beth Gallagher likes this.