Sorta World Tour I Guess

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Bill Morrison-Bates, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Bill Morrison-Bates

Bill Morrison-Bates Veteran Member
    Registered

1970 UK to Northern Ireland
    1973 UK to Malta
    1975 UK to Singapore
    1978 UK to Holland
    1982 UK to Las Malvinas
    1985 UK to France
    1987 UK to Scotland
    1991 UK to Egypt
    1999 UK to Spain
    2001 UK to Elgin USA
    2007 Elgin to Seattle
    2009 Seattle to Mesa (AZ)
    2011 Mesa to Spain again
    2013 Spain to UK

These are all countries that I have either served in (RAF) or lived, my own particular favourite being Egypt, which due to the present political instability I now sadly realise has had to be erased from my list of future travel destinations.

Tim Burr and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive lived in or visited..

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Pittsburgh PA
    Chicago and suburbs
    Merrillville, Indiana
    Budapest, Hungary
    Vienna, Austria
    Few towns or cities in Germany
    Paris, France
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Quite a few towns in Switzerland
    Tunisia
    Fresno, California...also visited many towns in CA.

Also visited Colorado, New Jersey, Florida, Connecticut, New York and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few....

Yes..just remembered Ive worked in Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and W. Virginia.

Tim Burr likes this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bill Morrison-Bates You gotta love some of those postings. You sure got to travel.

My favorites was the time I spent at RAF Wethersfield and RAF Alconbury.
    I'll throw in Diego Garcia ( my posting during Desert Storm along with some B-52's ).

I was assigned to strategic Air Command (SAC) or Southern Command while in the USAF.
    Told the recruiter I wanted to 'see the world', but never thought I'd see that much.

Berlin, Iraklion Air Station, Republic of Zaire ( now Republic of the Congo ), the Island of Shemya, etc.

I got to go to Egypt in 1982 and 1989. Never enough time to see everything I wanted to.

Most times it was a small let down to get posted back in the states.
    Rather be stepping off a plane in a new country...

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just remembered Hawaii...have been a few times.

Also Las Vegas a few times.

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

You've been to some interesting areas of the world @Bill Morrison-Bates. I've been to, pathetically 3 countries and I don't think that number will climb.

6. Bill Morrison-Bates

Registered

Don't feel disappointed with your list of visited destinations, as quite a lot of my landing places were when I was serving in the Royal Air Force.

And even though it's great to see other people's lands, traditions and cultures, the thought of returning home is always at the back of your mind (was mine anyway)

As for my stay in the US, well I did all that a good immigrant should ie got a driver's licence, green card, started my own little business, rode my Harley (even in the winter)
    but when my immigration lawyer started pressuring me to take American citizenship, I refused as I was born a British Citizen and that's how I want to clock off.

Noses out of joints time

I personally think that after seeing the result of your last Presidential election, I sure made the right decision......there I've said it now !!

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bill Morrison-Bates I think I would have made a great European though I have no right to complain about being born in the USA. I envy your universal health as my Covered California is giving me severe anxiety right now.

8. Bill Morrison-Bates

Registered

I hate to say this Kitty, but if you have a long look at BBC news, you'll see that the 'free' UK national health service is, right now at breaking point mainly due to government under funding (but this could be fake news I guess) and I could always deny ever having said it..... (wonder where I got that idea from ?)...hmmm !

I could tell many horror stories about the shambolic state of affairs surrounding this so called 'envy of the world' health service and having lived for quite a few years in the US, and having been a United Healthcare client, I can assure you that the NHS is definitely nothing to write home about.

Take care Kitty

Bill

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My world travels have taken me to Canada, Mexico, and a Caribbean cruise, which is not so impressive, particularly when you consider that I grew up not far from the Canadian border, and currently have a camp only a few miles from the Canadian border, and lived on the Mexican border for twenty years. There are still plenty of places I haven't seen yet in this country though, so I am not anxious to do more world traveling.