Southeast Asia

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ivan Tea Sanderzon, Sep 24, 2024 at 5:59 PM.

1. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Ivan Tea Sanderzon Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife went on a mission trip to Viet Nam 25 years ago. The medical supplies and bibles the church had brought with them were confiscated by the Communist government; they were only allowed to keep the tylenol and other mundane items they had packed, but that's another story LOL! Gotta stay on track!

She has always wanted to return because her time sightseeing was minimal as it wasn't the intent of the mission. We have found several videos on YouTube that give a good idea for vacationing there and in other countries, such as Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, et al. Really decent ideas as to the cost for lodging, food, transportation and such. A monthly "luxury" rented apartment/condo is around $350 - $500 for the month. but cheaper alternatives are available for between $50 - $150. Transportation can be done by walking, GRAB (The Uber of S.E. Asia) and the usual trains and buses. If you're particularly adventurous and are willing to drive the crowded, insane traffic there, a motorbike can be rented for around $3 per day, or $90 for the month. So, living there for a month would be less than $600 - $800, airfare and purchases not included. I'm kinda interest in a nice linen suit :) and my wife is partial to the brightly colored dresses.

Ok, here is my drawback. I am not afraid to fly, as I have flown around the U.S., Europe and Israel, but I absolutely HATE the thought of a 18 to 20 hour flight to get there. The longest flight I ever took was to Israel and I damned near went nuts sitting that long. I would take something to make me sleep, but I snore like a freight train LOL!

Anyhow, we have some interesting things to consider. We're thinking the U.K., London and Scotland (Roslyn Chapel) maybe Middle Europe, Germany, France (Rennes le Chateau); really would love to go to Portugal (Nice Templar Castles there), too. Apparently, staying there is reasonable, as well.

Y'all hankering to do the ex-pat thing? Have you? Are you currently?

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have no immediate interest in emigrating to anywhere, but I do like to travel. If your wife was in a medical mission in Southeast Asia, she may know of Doctor Tom Dooley, an idol of mine form way back before your wife was there.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The only country I have toyed with in my brain to possibly move to is the Dominican Republic.

Now, so far as Vietnam goes, I used to workout with a retired Army Captain who went back to visit Vietnam a couple of years ago and when he came back he said he had a wonderful trip.
    As for me, naw.
    The U.S. Government gave me an all expenses paid 1 year vacation there back in 68-69 and with that in mind, I can easily write that going back is not on my bucket list.