Sparkling Water Anyone?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kitty Carmel, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I found Spindrift sparkling water in cans at Trader Joe's. My favorites were the watermelon and cucumber. Not as strange as they sound. Can't find those two flavors anymore. They have real fruit in them. Yesterday I tried the "La Croix" because they had a blackberry, cucumber flavor. Says they are "naturally essence" but I don't like them nearly as much as the Spindrift. There was another brand with a coconut, pineapple but it would probably have tasted totally artificial. The La Croix kind of does.

Anyone drink sparking waters and have a favorite? I'll probably stick with Spindrift for now but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate those things... Yuck:eek:

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I LOVE sparkling water, too, @Kitty Carmel ! I have not seen the Spindrift brand; but I have tried the lacrosse and did not like them as well as just the plain varieties from Kroger or Walmart.
    Usually, I just get the plain non-flavored ones and add some lemon slices, or other fruit flavorings; but I do like the cherry flavored sparkling water that Walmart carries.
    I started drinking sparkling water when stopping drinking soda pop, and found that I really like it, and it is a fairly healthy thing to drink.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Carbonated beverages, most of them, contain a large proportion of Phosphoric Acid, which has been touted and bally-hooed as being harmful, attacking tooth enamel as well as causing gastric difficulty. I suspect sparkling water, especially the plain kind, may not contain the stuff. Considering the enormous quantity of soda I consumed during the past 75 years, I'm lucky I'm lucky to still have my teeth, if rumors are true.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like this stuff. The Vanilla Bean is my favorite but they have a couple of ginger flavors that are good too.

dry-vanilla-bean.jpg

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the phosphoric acid is largely to keep the carbonic acid intact (low pH). It may have other functions as well since the LaCroix stuff does not have any listed and it is carbonated. We keep it around for the grandchildren, as one of them is a type 1 diabetic and can't drink regular stuff, but he like the Zevia stuff much better, so we have that around, too.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    Interesting thought. Carbonic Acid is actually a rather non-existent acid not demonstrable existing by itself, but nonetheless contributing acidic properties to water having CO2 dissolved in it. I should think if Phosphoric acide were a necessity, it would be added to common seltzer water.

BTW, did you learn, as I did, that "pure" water has a Ph of 7.0, and that distilled water is "pure water"? Yet, in practice, distilled water when tested using usual Ph papers will always prove to be acidic, sometimes as low as 5.0! That puzzle took me awhile to solve, as the Chem textbook authors were neglectful of describing real everyday lab conditions!
    Frank

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Theory and reality are not necessarily the same. If the water is truly pure, the pH would be 7.0. Distilled water is not necessarily pure, as when you remove stuff from a solvent, it tends to pick up other stuff more easily, and water (even distilled) will absorb gasses. We usually used deionized, filtered, RO x2 water in an enclosed environment to avoid this issue. Purity is a relative term.

See below:

Food-grade phosphoric acid (additive E338[16]) is used to acidify foods and beverages such as various colas and jams. It provides a tangy or sour taste. Various salts of phosphoric acid, such as monocalcium phosphate, are used as leavening agents.[15] Phosphoric acid in soft drinks has the potential to cause dental erosion.[17]

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like fizzy drinks - they make me feel ......... well .........fizzy !
    :p

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I've heard that carbonated beverages aren't that good for you in general. Sometimes though they just seem to hit the spot. Other than those, I drink water and I certainly don't drink them daily. As far as sugar soda goes, I always have some available. They are the best thing for an upset stomach.

@Ken Anderson I've never seen that brand.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like them but they don't like me anymore....make me burp. :)

I drink just plain old water now...in the summer I'll throw in some lemon or lime or mint etc but only when I remember.

Never drink anything with sugar, not even juice.

12. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I consider burping good. :) Yes, sugar drinks are not the best. I do juice and regular soda on occasion. I think there are people who really don't drink much water and that is bad.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Some Oriental cultures expect, and even encourage burping or belching after partaking of a meal. It supposedly is regarded as a sign of satisfaction with the grub.

In other cultures, belching is often thought to result from overindulgence, particularly of beer, and is looked down upon.

I'm considering adding to my epitaph with:

"He swore and belched a lot"

Frank

Don Alaska likes this.