Sports Interests

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I went to a few Dodgers games in LA, while I was living in Southern California. I much prefer the National League to the American but it was a bit of a drive for me to go to Dodgers Stadium, whereas I could walk to Angels Stadium in Anaheim; plus, they weren't any good so I could just show up at game time and get a good seat. For a couple of years, our church had a block of seats to Angels games so I have been to dozens of Angels games.

Other than that, and a few Dodgers games, I went to quite a few Braves games with my older brother when they were in Milwaukee, and doing great - 1957-58, and I have been to one Brewers game. I think about catching a Red Sox or Yankees game now that I'm in Maine, but the cost of a ballgame has gone up considerably, and hotel rooms aren't the cheapest in Boston or New York.

I love baseball if I can watch the game from the stadium. I don't much care to watch it on television and rarely do. I have no favorite teams and don't follow the game. Yet, that's my favorite sport.

I didn't think I'd like hockey but a friend, who I was renting an apartment with at the time, had season tickets to Kings games while his parents were in Europe one year. He played on a team that played at Staples Center just before the Kings games, so I went with him several times, watching his game, then staying for the Kings games. Since he knew what was going on, I could follow it more easily, and they were fun.

Although I grew up about sixty miles or so from Green Bay, I have never attended a professional football game, and rarely looked at the field during high school games. When I have been at friends' houses while they were watching football, it seemed that the game consisted of about four seconds of action followed by ten minutes of endless drivel. Seems pretty boring to me.

Basketball was the main sport in my high school, which probably wasn't uncommon in Northern, cold-weather schools, given that it's played indoors, but I have never had any interest in it.

Soccer? That's part of the Europeanization of America, and it should be banned. If we allow that, the next thing you know, we'll be chasing goats' heads around the field on horseback.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I enjoy going to my grandchildren's baseball, basketball, and volleyball games...and any other sports games they may be participating in, I don't enjoy going to the Pro Sports Games anymore. They have become to expensive, to crowded, to much trouble with parking, etc. that I just no longer enjoy going to see them in person. I do however enjoy watching the Sports events on TV...my favorite is Football but I also enjoy watching Golf and Tennis tournaments too.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was an avid Steelers fan for over 50 years, but didn't watch a single game of football last year. Football is entertainment--men playing a game and getting paid for it. When politics enters, I leave. I enjoy baseball when I can, and we have a small league here. I watch those games in person when I can. I watch major league games when I can, but I don't have any sports channels on TV, so we can't get many games. I find basketball the most boring game ever, and soccer is next. How can people watch a game for over an hour with no score, then have it decided by a shootout? They should just start with a shootout and have the entire thing over in a few minutes. Hockey is okay, but it goes so fast, I find it difficult to figure out who is on the ice. I used to attend NHL games when I could, but found it daunting. I really could never figure out Cricket, but if it were available here, I would give it a try. I also find volleyball entertaining, but seldom get to watch it.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite sport to watch was Baseball...not so much now though.

My favorite teams in baseball and football have always been the Steelers and Pirates and Cubs and Bears.

Guess now in CA I'm a 49ers fan for football but wether baseball or football I'm a diehard Cubs fan.

When they finally won the World Series, I was ecstatic!

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

As for soccer @Ken Anderson ...a couple of my youngest grandsons play.

I saw A few games while I lived in Hungary and in my opinion it at least moves a little faster than American football.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's a slippery slope, I tell you. That's just the start. Their kids will be batting goats' heads around the field. We should nip it in the bud before it goes too far.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I know you're kidding but soccer has been around the US for quite awhile....my son played for a bit when he was little but didn't like it so quit....he was great at baseball though in school....played first base and was also a left handed pitcher.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandchildren started off with soccer...for some reason it seems to be the sport they start young children on now...and then they graduate to T-ball.