Starbucks Stock Plunges

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

-- Washington Times

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm glad to hear of Starbuck's corporate misfortunes! :D

I never did like that company...in fact, I never bought a single cup of their coffee, even from their satellite locations inside of other retail stores.

Hal

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm neutral on Starbucks...don't care either way. Usually don't get coffee when out...maybe a skinny latte once a year with my daughter.

Of course I do love their cake pops...with my skinny latte. :)

I pay some attention to stocks because of my daughter and her husband...they own shares in many but not sure if Starbucks is one...I know Amazon is.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Their iced coffees are better than any others I have tried. Only the ones in the glass bottles that are sold in stores or gas stations, though. The freshly made iced teas that they sell at their stores aren't any good. I think the ones in the stores are not actually made by Starbucks but for Starbucks, using their brand; different products anyhow. As compared to other coffee shops, Starbucks is way overpriced. When I consider both that and their politics, I'll pass on Starbucks.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

As of 2018, Starbucks operates 28,218 locations worldwide. It looks to me like Starbucks has just leveled off.
    Fourteen year stock price:
    sbux.jpg

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    When I was a young man newly-married and still very much more foolish than now, an equally-foolish young man came to our front door selling life insurance. We sat down and he extolled the virtues of his Whole Life plan which was backed up by glowing growth charts like yours above. Paid in over about 20-30 years, we could have several hundred-thousand dollars accumulated by then.

I bought in. Sold out within a couple of years. After I read the 1930s-written book, "Life Insurance - a Legalized Racket". It's essence was true: Since Mortality Tables were used to predict numbers of deaths, no wonder all the skyscrapers in downtown Chicago (and every city) were emblazoned with "New York Life", "Prudential", etc.: they continued to use Tables published in 1878, when life expectancies were far lower!
    Frank

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't need a cup of coffee any better than what my Wife makes for me on Saturday and Sunday mornings after breakfast.

She uses plain Folgers Coffee, and I take mine with cream and lots of sugar.

I drink two cups of coffee per week...I don't need any more than that.

Howl

Frank Sanoica likes this.