States And Cities I've Lived In

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Rachel Rodarte, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Starting when I was about 2 years of age we started in El Paso, TX, because of Dad was in the military US Army, paratrooper, he was transferred to North Carolina, I remember little things here and there. He use to take to the airshows and the drive-in. I don't remember either one, I just remember the box of popcorn and the soda that were in a can, (the shape of the cans are the cans of oil that they sell now). We lived there for about two years, than we headed back to El Paso, TX.

In 1963, my mother moved us to Los Angeles, CA., where I have been ever since. We grew up in Boyle Heights, knows as gang related neighborhood, but it was like this all the time, once all gang members grew up and moved things were better. Than me and my daughter moved to Alhambra, CA, in late 80's, in the early 90's we move next door, San Gabriel, CA.

After me and my husband met we decide we buy our first home, well, there we go to Fontana, CA., about 45 minutes further away. We lived there about three years, we sold the house, the drive was getting to my husband, he was driving about an 1 1/2 each way, and with traffic, it was even longer, so his mom asked us to move in with them, we moved Whittier, CA. We were there 3 or 4 years.

After that we moved to Sun City, CA, to help out my oldest daughter. We stay with them for about a year. Than I got a call from my brother, he was getting married and someone needed to care for my mother, So here we go again but to Boyle Heights, this was longest place we lived, we were there 12 years. Since my mother was renting and she passed in 2014, the owner wanted to house back, so, guess what we moving again.

We now live in Hesperia, CA. I hope that this will be the last stop. I want to set root somewhere. Though I have heard talk in this house about moving to Vegas, :eek:

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, if there is a globe-trotter then there is a state-trotter. In fairness to those places you have lived in, I'm sure you have experienced different cultures. It's hard for me to think that I would be living in so many places because I was born and raised in the city of Makati, that is the business district of Metro Manila. But we have relatives in the province and I also had experienced their different culture. In those days, children in the province were tame and disciplined unlike now that grumbling is a common antic of kids. With the food, we were served delicacies that I could only eat there because those were not available in Manila. So in your case, maybe you have gathered different recipe for your food.

Rachel Rodarte likes this.
  3. Rachel Rodarte

Registered

Hi Corie,
    I remember living in Texas, the majority of people were Mexican, I don't remember seeing any other race. When we moved to Los Angeles, this is where I saw different races. Though our neighbors were (are) Mexicans, Latin, there was one Chinese man. When I moved out on my own, it was different, I was working and I did experiences different foods (something my mother never did, she just didn't want to). I now cook different foods, but I do have to say they don't come out the way they cook them at the restaurants, o_O. And you're right about kids then and now, some of these kids need a good smack on their behind. We always had Mexican food all our life's, because that was what my mother grew up with, she never changed her menu. Now I make different things, my husband get tired of the same dishes, and so does my daughter, with me as long as I have my salsa, I'm happy.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What part of Texas were you in? I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas for just over twenty years, where indeed most everyone is of Mexican or Mexican-American heritage, although many of them have lived in this country for generations. Still, Spanish or, more accurately, Tex-Mex, was the first language of most of those who lived there. They were very nice people, however. I enjoyed my time there, and value the friends that I made there. After a while, you don't really notice the racial stuff. One of my employees pointed out once that I was the only "white guy" in town. I hadn't noticed, but he was right.

Rachel Rodarte likes this.
  5. Rachel Rodarte

Registered

We lived in El Paso, and my mother would take us over the border to visit her mother. We use to ride the trolley, my parents also use to go shopping on the other side, and they would always buys us the roast corns. We live on Oregon st. near the church, I don't remember the name of that church, than we moved I'm going to say about 2 or 3 miles down, near Bowie High School. We leave in some apartments, across the way was the canel, which cover up now. I went through the internet and did a research on my old address, and that is the only address I remember from over there. This is how I found out that the canels were covered up, they have grass and a play ground for young kids. the apartments that we live in are gone, they have another complex, that look so nice. When we lived there it was when the casmisal (sp) between the U.S. and Mexico. This was back in 1963. I really love my neighborhood, but like my mother told me one day, that they were the worst apartment ever. What did I know I was 8 years old. I did have a friend who was white, her name was Barbara, she didn't live in the same neighborhood, but since her mother worked at the school she was able to to attend the school. Other than her I never saw other races. I really don't know much about the areas, I only the areas where we lived and the streets because my mother mention them by name.