Staying Safe In Retirement & Leisure

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Sandy Wood, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I'm pro gun I still don't have one nor do I want one. I would never carry one on me just because it would seem strange after all these years, plus my purse is too small.

For my home I have a security system and feel that's enough for the neighborhood I live in. Worst crime is someone going through our garbage cans and maybe rifling through your car if you leave it unlocked outside. I don't.

I'd hate to wake up and shoot someone that wasn't going to kill me anyway. I haven't heard of any murders in this neighborhood....just a suicide.

I don't even care what kind of guns are allowed, it's not the gun but the crazy person using it that always seems to be the problem.

One thing that worries me though is people with guns.....and alcohol or drugs.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

:D Neighbor has one mean Colt 45 revolver It is big, but she wasn't afraid to use it. She had an insentient where she knew someone was at the side door. nobody said anything on the outside, but this person was turning the doorknob neighbor (Lois) was watching with her Colt in hand and cocked it. Then she said, Wanna meet my boyfriend, Colt 45. It was a guy and running out of the yard. She open the door and yelled, Don't Mess With A TAR HEEL She comes from Hickory, North Carolina...We've been good neighbors for 20 yrs.She is 84 yrs.old. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Sandy, have you thought about having a dog, for protection?

Marilyn Pahl and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for your comments. Joe, I have thought about getting a dog as I have had dogs in the past, but I kind of like not having to worry about the extra bills and other problems in owning a dog, as if I had one I would want a med to big dog for protection as well as, companionship.
    My new deterrent is lighting up the front and back area of my house and a security system. I am in the process of setting up the cameras that are very clear and full color, night and day with motion detection. This way I will have a clear view of what is happening around my house. I got a wired set as they are better quality then the wireless types. Of course my brother who was of no help when I ask for advice on what to buy, is now complaining about the system I bought. But I am happy with it. I had to order a hard drive for it so that it can record events, but I still got the whole system for less than $200.
    There are other types that require you to download the program into a computer and then you can use your router and computer to run the system. One program I considered costs $12.00, for the software and any computer from Windows XP & up can run the program. You can use wireless cameras or cable wired into computer, cameras. So depending on how or if you want to be notified when away from home either on cellphone or tablet computer, you get alerts or pictures of your home.

I even saw a real neat doorbell security cam with speaker system that is way out of my price range but looks to be a good one. However, one thing I wanted to let you know. It seems you can record people's actions outside your home, but the sound is a different matter. It is against the law in many States, to record people's voices without their knowledge. Even where it is not on the books, it could present a legal issue for you. So it is better to record without sound and put up a sign stating that your home is under security surveillance. Or like my local community center states "Your On Candid Camera, Smile! " which seems like a fun way to let people know your watching their every move.

5. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

Since Pip my youngest son came home, he brought along a half Jack Russell and half beagle. She is a sweetheart, and was a rescued dog from the puppy mills she is family. I have some tough neighbors.They walk with me to the convenience store for a paper and coffee. If they need help getting to court, grocery store... I'll drive them....To make a story short, my tough friends tell me, GET A DOG....:)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Honey Gee, Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Such a shocking story and can understand your nervousness. I would definately think about getting a dog. I wonder though if this is a rare instance and hopefully would not happen again.

Next stop for you the local dogs home.

Hope you feel better soon and gain confidence after your experience x

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Sandy, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Since you now have a security system, have you added a motion detector up in the attic? I think I would do so for peace of mind. I'm considering getting a locking gas cap as well, because it sometimes seems as if I've got less gas than the last time I used the car, although I don't use it that much, so it could be my memory. We do have some teens here who think it's o.k. to go through a car if it's not locked, and I wouldn't doubt they steal gas so they can joy ride in their parents' golf carts or cars/trucks.

A neighbor posted in our neighborhood Facebook group yesterday that when she went outside, she noticed the window screen from her daughter's bedroom on the ground, and her shed door wide open. Another said she's also had some issues. They live several streets away, down by the main road, but I've also had someone go through my shed and have also had my front and back light bulbs broken in the past. We're all a bit more watchful these days. I've been griping about my neighbors' dogs, and I am still not happy, because they go after the stray cats I feed/take care of, but I do also think it dissuades people from getting too close to my doors/yards.

Honey Gee likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember our first dog named Jedi. She would be the only one manning our home when we go to the office. We had no house maid yet. And our dog earned a reputation in the neighborhood such that even criminals were scared. It's a good advice to have dogs in the house to deter intruders.

9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I think this might be the best place for this post, and as this thread hasn't been active lately, I'm hoping it'll be alright.

Around the Houston, Tx. area the elderly have become one of the biggest targets for crime. Everything from scams, theift, murder, or even all wrapped into one. It seems that more and more our news is reporting crimes that involve people of retirement age.

This is the third largest city in this country, and if we don't address the problem of our seniors safety, who will?

For some stupid reason our present day criminal seems to think older people must have an over abundance of wealth. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that many of our latest criminal element come from countries where if you are able to retire, you definitely have money.

It seems to me that such a large metropolis would have come up with some sort of system to provide a better way to help it's older population stay safe. We have set up such programs that help parents of Latchkey Children, Amber Alerts that are broadcasted over our phones and freeway billboards, or even just neighborhood watches that report out of the order happenings.

What kind of efforts do you think might help these kind of issues?

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is an excellent point, @Ina I. Wonder , and beyond having a home alarm, there probably isn't anything that is specifically designed for protecting seniors. The ones who live in a gated community are probably a lot safer than people like you, who live in a single house and not close to other homes in the area.
    We live in a low-income area of town, and there is a lot of police activity in this part of town; but except for people trying to rob someone for drugs, there is not a lot of home invasions. We have an old beat-up car; and just a normal house for this neighborhood; so there is really nothing to make us look like a good target, and except for Bobby's tools, we don't have much of anything worth stealing.
    I think that security is probably one of the reasons why seniors do move to a gated community, as well as not having to do any kind of maintaining the apartment, or even mowing the lawn. Having a good home security system is also an important way to protect yourself, and now they can be completely controlled through an app on the phone; so no more of rushing in the door and hurrying to type in your house code before the alarm sets off. You can even see your house when you aren't home, and answer the doorbell, at least I have seen ads on television for things like that.

11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi @Yvonne Smith. :) When we bought this place back in the late 80's, we were in the poor countryside. Now, I'm in prime real-estate. My property is worth more than five times what we paid for it. Who would have guessed.

Since Michael died, I've had motion detectors, extra strong fencing, and an electric gate installed. In the last effort to steal my car, the thieves tore my gate totally off it's support column. In two years, my gate has been broken four times.

But so far the only real deterrent has been Bobert moving in.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Not a good thing, for sure, and I know that we have talked about this problem before. I am glad that you have your grandson there to watch after you. Is there anyplace you can park the car where it is more out of sight maybe ? But then, they might think you are not home and try to get in the house; so that is not a good thing either.
    Do you suppose it could be friends/relatives of the people you had to evict from the rental property ? They would certainly know all about your house and what valuables you might have there.
    Maybe you can get an alert for the gate that goes right to the police like a home security alarm does ?

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It doesn't add security, but you can keep people guessing by using something that will turn some of your lights on and off periodically. We have a few of them that I move around from time to time, so that it doesn't look too predictable. Since we're away a lot, up north in the summer or traveling, I have them set so that a few of out lights will be turned on and off every now and then, such as a bathroom light coming on three or four times during the night, or our living room and office light being on for a few hours at night. Ours are on a timer, but I think you can find ones that will turn them on randomly as well. In that way, people don't know when you're not home, and they won't know when you settled into bed for the night.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Third largest city? I would never have thunk it!
    Frank

15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder - over here, we have a button that you can wear or have close by
    when you push that, it immediately gets a response and you can tell the operator help is needed
    The lights Ken mentioned are a good idea, a good shock tactic being all lit up :D
    Also, have you considered getting a 'bear' - can you imagine that ! What a deterrent that would be !

Ina I. Wonder likes this.