Stepping Out

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Went to a funeral the other day. A neighbor and friend. It was a bit unusual. He wrote his own obituary, picked out the songs to be sung, and make a slide-show of the events of his life. I loved it and I feel the Lord did, too. I'm sure he was welcomed home with open arms. He was a good man.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think he had a good idea. I'm sure it relieved his loved ones from a painful task.

I'm sorry that you lost a good friend. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Patsy Faye and Bill Boggs like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Can't remember if I've ever been to a funeral. I have had relatives that have passed away, but because the funeral was on the other side of the U.S. from where I lived, just couldn't afford to go.
    When my wife's mother passed away, neither us or her brother could go, because we just couldn't afford to fly to where the funeral was. We did send flowers though.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

cremation people... does away with all that ! When family have to travel distance, spend money on hotels, cars gas, and ect. it only adds to
    the grief.. I think. When my sister in law died around Christmas time few years back she was cremated. In celebration of her life, friends and some family members , built a bonfire in the yard (out in the country) , we sat in a circle, at night, remembering her and her life, as my brother played his guitar to tunes she liked. It was peaceful, calm and , well that is when I decided , that was what I wanted. Much less fuss for everybody, and expense.
    To me , closure begins with your last breath.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There are many who are taking "charge" of their final arrangements now days. Some do this because they do not have anyone left to do it for them, but most of the ones who are doing this are doing it so their loved ones will not be burdened with this in their time of grief and mourning....and they are planning it ahead of time so it will be done the way they desire their final arrangements to be.

I am so glad more of this is being done now days. And I am also glad cremation is an option that is accepted more now too.

@Bill Boggs It's nice that your friend's goodbye was a lovely one to you. :)

Bill Boggs and Hedi Mitchell like this.