Steve - Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm back.. Operation went OK.. I am having big trouble typing with my left hand.., I am in a sling with my right arm..
    Pain was something else but after 5 days, it seems to be subsiding a bit.. The operation was 3 hours long and there was side effects from the length of the op.. Urine problems as the medication had caused my prostate to close down.. I needed a catheter to allow me to empty my bladder.. My left arm had issues as there was a pinched nerve in my neck that prevented me from using my left arm for about 3 days.. Back to normal now.. My appetite just went out the window.. Can' eat !! ...Now that I am home, my Princess is cooking good food for me and I can now start eating again..
    Getting better each day but slowly.. I am no where using my right arm yet.. pain has almost gone but there is still some there from the incision and not from the joint..
    That's it for now.................. I will try to post more info later..

2. Steve North

Registered

While in the hospital, they changed my pain killers from Oxycodone to Hydromorphone 2mg. taken 1 or 2 pills when needed.. Evidently, they work faster, easier on the stomach, and are more powerful..
    So far, I have no complaint on them as they are doing their job.. The pain is no where like is was.. Much better..

Sleep is something else.. sleeping only on my back isn't easy or very comfortable.. I manage to get about 8 or 9 hours of sleep nightly but that takes me a few hours more to accomplish.. i like to take a nap in the afternoon if possible as it helps the tiredness..

I had a homecare physiotherapist visit me at home yesterday to get me going with certain exercises.. That was a help..
    I also have an appointment in the hospital for physio starting next week.. That will be twice a week for 6 months at least..
    Staples will come out on Monday the 10th here in our local clinic.. Then and only then can I take a shower, till then, I STINK...

3. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Can wife assist you with a gentle sponge bath/wash up?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Steve North

Registered

I had a different experience happen to me today.. I received a phone call at noon from an organisation that provides home assistance to persons that have just come home from the hospital and need help to function with certain things..
    This person offered to come over and give me a sponge bath.. Heck, who am I to say no.......
    This lovely young homecare worker arrived and I had a full sponge bath and now I feel sanitized..
    She told me that as long as I feel I need help to bath or shower, she will come and help me..
    She is a homecare worker and is paid by the government as part of a plan to help those that can't help themselves..

STINK ALL GONE !!!!

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North
    She was lovely, eh? Tempting me to yield on my hard-headed stubborn-ness to remain in suffering with these shoulders! Today, pain or no, I yanked the water heater out of it's cubicle, tomorrow plan to cut hole in the floor there; our water leak seems close to that area, way my wife hears it; I can't hear it at all.

Glad to hear your ordeal progressed acceptably. Frank

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Steve North

Registered

meanwhile, I smell ........ good !!!

Lara Moss likes this.
  8. Steve North

Registered

Had not a bad day today.. Didn't do much but I sat out on our patio and took some sun..
    The big pain seems to come during the night and not that much during the day.. I manage to take pain killers only once during the night..
    Can't wait for Monday when those stupid staples come out.. It seems that they are bothering me more than anything.. They could be causing the pain..
    I sleep a lot and am always tired, so I take a nap in the afternoon.. That just isn't me..

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Steve North

Registered

Today was food shopping day.. I went with my wife to the shopping town (35 minutes away) just to make a change without any intentions of even leaving the car..
    Well, I borrowed a walker with a seat from a friend and I actually did some of the isles in the grocery store.. Getting out and making a change was wonderful.. Meeting people and having who to talk to was therapy..
    We went to MacDonald's for a coffee afterwards and that tasted heavenly..
    Now this evening, I can feel that I did quite the days activity considering it was my first real day out.. It is early and I am sleepy, so off to bed I will go.. No use fighting it .....

I feel good that I did something other than being a vegetable all day..

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Steve North

Registered

On the mend, yes, but those darn staples are just killing me.. Time to have them out which is tomorrow at noon at our local medical clinic.. Then I will hopefully start to improve.. Meanwhile, they are pulling and that isn't pleasant..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Steve North, after those irritating staples are removed, remember not to scratch your shoulder incision too much. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Steve North

Registered

I promise I will be a good boy...

14. Steve North

Registered

When they changed my pain killers from Oxycodone to hydromorph I didn't question them at all because they said the new pill was stronger and easier on the stomach..
    They might be right however I still find that the Oxycodone does a much better job and isn't hard on my stomach at all.. I find the Hydromorph pill makes it hard for me to fall asleep if I were to take one at bedtime..
    The same pill can work differently on different people which means I am going back to my old standard and let it do the pain killing as it should..
    Example: At 12:00 midnight I took a Hydromorph and here it is 2:30am and I still am having trouble falling asleep, so I came on here to pass the time...
    Whatever works, works and don't look for something better..
    Today at noon, the staples are coming out.. This could also be the reason I am anxious and can't sleep, but the pain is still there..

15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm up too and nothing to blame it on...maybe age? maybe an afternoon nap?
    Anyway @Steve North ,I'm sorry to hear of your shoulder surgery and pain but sounds like the healing process is about to progress more speedily now. Take care and yes, be a good boy ;)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.