Walking Stick Bug Spotted Today

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Frank Sanoica, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Bright sun this afternoon, as I approached the back door, on the wall of the house I spotted this:

[​IMG]

No mistaking it: it was a "walking stick". Baby one, about 2 inches long. Not walking, but rather enjoying the warmth of the sun probably. It had it's 2 front legs pointing straight forwards, along it's body, so only the middle and back legs were evident. The close-up came out rather blurry:

[​IMG]

They were very common in Michigan, seen when we visited my Dad's uncle there. We had them in Missouri, as well. I did NOT know they could live in the Desert, though. Their body is so thin, I can't imagine even the skinniest digestive tract. A search stated they will eat lettuce growing in a field! Over 300 species exist. One is the longest insect known: 14 inches long! They are perfectly harmless. Here's one being played with, a common practice, as they are said to be often kept as pets.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ugh :eek: I thought you meant someone had left their walking stick - so I wasn't prepared :p
    I'm running to them thar hills ………………
    [​IMG]

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

During the warm months we have a lot of plants on the porch plus the bamboo that’s growing next to it.
    Since I like sitting on it I get quite a few “visiting” sticks which will land on me or even sit on the wicker coffee table and seemingly watch me type away on the IPad.
    One very mature praying mantis sat on my shoulder for about a half hour. I even named it and had quite the conversation with him and may I say, he was a great listener and did not interrupt me even one time.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

We have them in Southern Spain... see them quite often on the white patterned stucco wall of the house .. did you know they can regenerate themselves? if attacked, they can just let go of a leg for example and regrow another one?...cool beans!!

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Mebbe they could invite the giant leaf insect over for lunch?
    [​IMG]

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Now that I have never seen, never heard of one. Is this for real? But looking closer, those fringer prints look familiar,
    although a little bruised and scarred up.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

oooh yukkk!!!!

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A Stick Insect Christmas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The other day, a large Stick Bug wandered into our house because the weather was nice and we had the front door open. When I noticed it, it was on the sheer curtain by the front room window, and I mentioned it to Bobby so that he would know it was there and take it back outside.
    Later, he looked for it, but the Stick Bug was gone, and we thought it had found its way back out to the bamboo again.

The next day, I was sitting here at my desk, typing along, and felt something on my bare leg. When I looked down, there was the Giant Stick Bug, climbing right up my leg.
    I SCREECHED ! ! !
    Bobby came in to see what was wrong, and I pointed out the stick bug, now lying stunned on the floor where he landed after i frantically swatted him off of my leg while screeching.

My dear husband looked at me and at the bug, and said something like “Well, take it outside”. I looked back at him and at the stick bug and said “YOU are the Husband……
    You are in charge of taking stick bugs outside. “

Bobby just kind of shook his head, went and got a paper towel and moved the stick bug back outside. I gave @Bobby Cole a big hug and told him that he was my Hero, so now everything is wonderful in the Bobby&Yvonne World again.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.