Stimulus Checks Arriving!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Peter Renfro, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

As of this morning my boat account is $2400.00 thicker. Thank You!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is awesome that you received your stimulus money so fast, @Peter Renfro ! I am happy for you...... but I do think that your wife’s half should go into whatever it is your wife is wanting to get with her stimulus money.......just sayin”.

Bobby said that he wants to get a generator if we possibly do get a stimulus check, and I am not sure what I would do with mine at this point.
    It is all just “wishing and hoping” , anyway.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Registered

The boat is her idea. I wanted a 72" 3-point finish mower. There was some level of sarcasm in the topic anyway.
    I know many will disagree,but once again I say for me, and most of us here this whole thing is a zero sum game. The virus has done nothing to me financially. My pension, my social security, my annuity,just keep going on.
    Totally undeserving and a waste of our tax dollars. A finer point should have been put on the pencil.
    I know that more than one member on here can really really use this money ,and I in no way begrudge that.

Missus and I are not total Ivankas, we are giving a portion to a local fund that is helping a diner,a vape shop,and a barbershop,hopefully keep the lights on.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

You are not the only one who has received money right away ! This small business owner of a restaurant in South Carolina applied for the paycheck protection loan, and within SIX days he had the money and is able to help pay his employees until he can reopen the restaurant.
    This is awesome !

EF55B450-6CD0-489B-B8FC-0DB1392E15D9.jpeg

5. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Is happening on a federal scale here in Oz. Some small business owners being paid to stay open while others can apply for funds like your South Carolina man for when they are ready to rehire. Totally awesome. We are spending some 10% of our annual GDP on this virus stimulus to make sure we come out the other side of this crisis.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

My gosh !
    We went to Walmart for Bobby to get a shovel, and the whole parking lot was packed FULL of cars ! We parked way down at the garden end (which is not open right now for people to go in and out), and walked up to the main doors.
    Usually, Walmart has had a runway for shoppers and people counting to make sure that only the limited amount of people can shop at one time. Today, there were no door attendants, and no counter-people, and both main doors were open, just like pre-panic normal shopping.
    Obviously, bunches of people had received their stimulus checks and were busy shopping at Walmart and spending the money.

I had 3 little items, but stood in line for at least 10-15 minutes while they checked out the people in front of me.
    Bobby was smart, and took his shovel through the self-checkout line, so he got back to the vehicle ahead of me. He said this might end up being an even better shopping day for stores than Black Friday at Thanksgiving !

7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When George W. Bush got in office he sent out a $300 tax refund with which I bought a snow thrower for almost the same amount. With Trump's stimulus I'll be looking at riding lawn mowers. What a country!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

GOT MINE!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The Democrats want to give everyone, sixteen or older, $2,000 a month until the economic shutdown is over and, according to at least one recommendation, that won't be until 2022. It won't matter whether you are a citizen or not. If you can make it across the border, you're in the money. Just think of it - a $2,000/month allowance for everyone sixteen or older, plus another $500/month for each child under sixteen. It kind of makes it hard to believe that our government really needs our taxes and fees though, doesn't it?

10. Peter Renfro

Registered

Ken, Where did you find that information???? I read 7 articles on the subject,from a variety of news outlets including Faux and Political Insider. Not a one of them mentioned anything like "if you manage to drag your ass across the border"
    Is that your projection,or is there actually a source?
    3 of the articles I read gave credit for the idea to two Democratic Congressmen,while four gave Trump credit.
    Regardless, information is not very valuable if it is not accurate, or "enhanced" for it's target audience.
    once again, using a howitzer to kill a flea. I don't know, maybe in our bureaucracy it is cheaper to dump it all down the drain than to run it through a sieve and remove the detritus and applying the fix only to the wound.

11. Yvonne Smith

This is a joke , of course, but funny !

4F594707-222D-4A42-998C-ACF593EC75E2.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Was just at a store and the clerk said that if she got such a check she'd rip it up and it went down from there.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Peter Renfro

Registered

His signature does not belong on a check.
    It does not matter whether you are right or left. The executive branch does NOT repeat DOES NOT have the constitutional power to spend money. Does not matter who is in the catbird seat. The only signature that should appear on a government check is that of the Secretary of the Treasury.
    Can someone please explain to me why this mans signature should be on these checks.
    This program originated and was negotiated by Congress and Treasury. All your man did was not veto the bill.
    So other than worship and feeding a fragile ego what does this action serve?
    Seriously.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We got our stimulus, tax refund and my SS yesterday. IOW, good day! Will use part of the money to get our 27 footer boat "summarized" and a couple of things fixed on it. The rest......rent, food and bills.

Stopped by local Walmart and it was fairly full, but then again yesterday was Wednesday, a day that many get their SS money, like I did.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

You know, I was about to hunt down the sources but a simple search on "stimulus for immigrants" came up with several of them on the first two pages of results from mainstream sources, so I won't waste my time, particularly since you prefer to argue a strawman. I didn't say that was in the bill. I said that the "Democrats want to give..." and there are plenty of sources for that.

I think you missed the part where it was a joke. A simple reading of the "check" should make that obvious.

Bobby Cole likes this.