Stimulus Checks Arriving!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Peter Renfro, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Tommy Gunne

Tommy Gunne Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got mine early , but why? I have not been affected financially one bit, why should I get a check? Another waste of govt money. Most people who get the checks don't need them. It would be better to target people who have lost jobs and businesses. We are planning to give $600 to a food bank and $600 to a nephew who has been laid off since March.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our government doesn't generalize like that. There would be entirely too many folks that would scream like mad that they didn't get any money.........and some do.

IOW, you may get both SS and a Retirement Pension, but not all Seniors do...........like us. We have to rely on SS and our savings to live. We do ok, but sure aren't going to turn away any "free" money.

3. Tommy Gunne

Registered

That money ain't free. No pension here, SS and savings.The majority of people won't even spend the money, they'll save it or pay off bills. It's just not a good way to get money to the people who need it.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, it's taxable, but so is SS and we look very forward to getting our SS in each month. As far as small businesses, those owners know the kind/kinds of risks they are taking when they invest into a small business. There is a risk when buying a house. Get laid-off from a company and can no longer afford the monthly mortgage payment. A number of things in life are risky.

I have sympathy for small business owners, but still.

Just how would our government know who needs the money and who doesn't. People who don't need it, or even want it, can't call and have the payment cancelled.

5. Tommy Gunne

Registered

It's not taxable, that's not what I was talking about. Every cent the govt gives away was taken from someone else. That's what I mean by it's not free. Your grandkids will pay for it. You sound like you just want the money and everyone else be damned. That's OK, that's your perogative. I feel differently.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

They don't start with the poorest first.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And, I pray thee oh darkaged one, why canst thou not understand ?

My wife received $600 and I received $600. She makes X amount of SS, I make X amount of SS. ' She makes extra money her way. I make extra money my way.
    She spends what she wants and what she wishes to spend it on, I do likewise.
    Big box item? We discuss it and hit the stash.

My wife and I both believe that people feel better when they have a little jingle in their pocket that belongs to them. She has her jingle. I have my jingle. When i buy something for her, it comes out of my jingle and her jingle stays intact. The same for her only reversed.

8. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

my stimulus $$ hit my account on Saturday, so I made a trip to the bank and withdrew it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No grandkids or kids. Not "everyone else be damned", but, like many, many people, we do like money. Or, as the old saying goes, "money talks while everything else walks". Medications aren't free, neither is housing, food, electrical bills, vehicle repairs, and it our case, boat maintenance/repairs.

As I stated in my last post, "why not have a phone number that can be called to cancel the stimulus money that anyone doesn't want"? That way, those that don't want it, and state that, they won't get it.

But, don't condemn us, or anyone else, who wants it and liked getting it.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Business owners do not know ALL the risks.
    I have persuaded many individuals to stay in the Food and Beverage business because it’s the one industry where a good employee will never go hungry and will always have employment. Even during the depression, waiters, waitress and cooks were rich compared to a lot of working stiffs.

No one could imagine such a thing as a universal shut down of eating and drinking establishments in the U.S. yet it happened. Owners of restaurants and lounges have their entire lives invested in their businesses and a little old 600 beans isn’t going to even touch what they’ve lost.

As far as me getting the $600, I like it and it is indeed nice but if they had said that only those working folks and business owners who are out of work due to the virus get the leg up, it wouldn’t bother me a bit. I worked my entire life without incident so as far as who deserves the bucks, to be truthful it ain’t me..

And, by the bye, unless it’s commercial, a boat is a luxury item. If you can’t maintain it on what you have to live on then you’re living above your means.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Tommy Gunne and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No one could have anticipated the craziness of 2020 except for those who planned and executed it. Restaurants and small businesses generally have a very low profit margin so when you shut down even a portion of their business, you're not leaving them with anything. When you subject their businesses to being closed on a whim of the governor, you can't expect them to plan for that.

Bobby Cole and Tommy Gunne like this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Same here. If anything, Hunkering in Place has saved me restaurant and gas money (although I bought specialty appliances so as to up my game with home cooking.)

My last check went directly to people in need. I kicked a few folks $100 tips, and gave some to the local food bank. One of them said "Uh, do you know what you just gave me?" as though to correct a mistake.

The next check will go to the same place.

13. Tommy Gunne

Registered

I never condemned anybody. But then you say "No grand kids and kids". How about we don't leave a mess for whoever comes next , relative or not. Heck, we might as well give everybody the $2000 a month for a year one guy advocated. Heck, let's just give it to everybody forever, or till we go bankrupt, whichever comes first?
    I could use it too.We all have bills, but my bills weren't brought about by the virus killing my job or business so why am I getting money? I know it's to spend to help the economy but the vast majority of people will just like you, pay bills or save it. No stimulation there. Give it to people who need it and it's guaranteed spent.
    It's just another example of the govt trying to help and screwing it up. I get the idea that "I pay taxes and I'm taking everything I can get" but that's what got us in this mess in the first place. Enjoy your stimulus.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I am all for frugality and not increasing the national debt but if we're going to waste the kind of money that is allocated in our federal budgets every year, I am all in favor of some of it going to the American people. As long as we're handing it out like Halloween candy overseas, wasting it on dumbass studies, giving it out to non-profits whose aims are not in our benefit, and to anyone else who agrees to kick a portion of it back to our elected officials, there's no point in stiffing Americans. If I find money lying on the ground, I'll pick it up. Retired or not, your cost of living has probably gone up, particularly food prices, and if you depended on working at least part-time to supplement your Social Security, your opportunities are diminished. The job that I have been doing for more than fifty years now is jeopardized by government lockdowns that have screwed the economies of the world, and your chances of becoming a Walmart greeter have probably been eliminated since no one wants to be greeted by anyone anymore.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Bobby Cole and Teresa Levitt like this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We gotta retain a sense of universality for our own self-respect, huh?